Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non traditional ways to pay a bill with a credit card

tag
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Non traditional ways to pay a bill with a credit card

I am looking for a way to pay my largest monthly expenses with my credit card, daycare and my mortgage. I am planning out how to hit minimum spend for 2 cards I'm planning to open next month. Daycare accepts credit cards but they now charge an 8% fee. My mortgage does not take credit cards. I used a workaround with serve some years ago but haven't tried anything since. Please share your ideas for things I can do without paying large fees. Thanks!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Non traditional ways to pay a bill with a credit card

@Justrebuilding wrote:
I am looking for a way to pay my largest monthly expenses with my credit card, daycare and my mortgage. I am planning out how to hit minimum spend for 2 cards I'm planning to open next month. Daycare accepts credit cards but they now charge an 8% fee. My mortgage does not take credit cards. I used a workaround with serve some years ago but haven't tried anything since. Please share your ideas for things I can do without paying large fees. Thanks!

You can try a service like Plastiq, https://www.plastiq.com/ 

They charge a 2.5% fee (with specials sometimes reducing this) which makes it less worthwhile for earning, but OK for minimum spend.   Depends on the cards though, I think Amex and Visa cannot be used for mortgage.

Message 2 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

plastiq.com

EIGHT percent fee?!?  That is insane.

Message 3 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

I know, 8% is nuts. It used to be free!

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
Message 4 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Thanks I will check them out.

Message 5 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

When I was renting, I used the checks I received from my NFCU cashRewards card—amount was $1,070/month.

NFCU does not charge a cash advance fee to use checks.

I always PIF within 10 days of writing check because I wasn’t trying to pay a large interest fee either.

Edit: Oops, just realized the reason you’re asking is to hit minimum spend. So sorry, this won’t work.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 19
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

Hmm I would love to do this on an ongoing basis though when I am not trying to meet min spend. I have the NFCU  cash rewards card but I don’t have any checks. Did you have to request them?

Message 7 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@justrebuilding

Yep just request them. NFCU asks if you want 3, 6, or 9. I always got 9. Then after my 2nd batch, I didn’t even ask anymore. They knew when I was on my last one and sent 9 automatically.

And the nice thing is checks have your name and address imprinted on them. And you can go to bank to get checks same day.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:
@Justrebuilding

Yep just request them. NFCU asks if you want 3, 6, or 9. I always got 9. Then after my 2nd batch, I didn’t even ask anymore. They knew when I was on my last one and sent 9 automatically.

And the nice thing is checks have your name and address imprinted on them. And you can go to bank to get checks same day.

Please note that if you're trying to hit a miminum spend or accrue points, checks most of the time pull from the cash advance side.  Verify with your issuer more than once with different reps!  You don't want to get hit with fees, a late pay because you forgot, etc.  If you can't get a benefit rewards wise, just pay those bills normally.

Also, plastiq is a good service.  Just check to make sure it will allow what you want based on your needs, bills, etc. YMMV

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe overpay some of your bills that take credit card, then just carry a credit forward.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.