cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

None of my secured cards converted? Lack of use?

tag
visualfxpro
Regular Contributor

None of my secured cards converted? Lack of use?

Have TD secured card for over a year. Nver late. Still secured. What is best way to get convert? Use of much of limit but pay 100% before due and before they report your balance? I also have bank of america and wels fargo.

May 2022: TU Fico 8: 692 | EQ Fico 8: 713 | EX Fico 8: 708
NFCU Flagship Rewards $25,000 | Capitol One $750 | TD Bank $1000 | Bank of America $3000 | Wells Fargo $500 | Amazon $4000

Charge Off from 2015: Municipal Credit Union $5300 ($6500 limit)[PAID IN FULL]
Credit Age: 4 years | Inquiries (6/12/24 month): 12 mo | Debt to Income ratio: 10%
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: None of my secured cards converted? Lack of use?

@visualfxpro wrote:

Have TD secured card for over a year. Nver late. Still secured. What is best way to get convert? Use of much of limit but pay 100% before due and before they report your balance? I also have bank of america and wels fargo.

Wells is known to take a very long time to graduate.

How long have you had the BoA? Have you asked to graduate?

How are your FICO scores?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo is notorious for taking a long time to convert. Many just give up and close it once scores improve.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've had them a long time, have you tried to get non secured products yet? Most of the time secured cards are just to get you on the map and a path to better cards. Once your scores improve to this point, then those are generally left by the wayside. Even if they graduate, they tend to stay bucketed. 

Has anyone ever heard of a graduated secured card reaching $15-25K?

That said, if you haven't been contacted about it. Then you're going to have to ask for a manual review of the account

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont understand why your cards have not graduated. I had a Wells Fargo Secured Card. I opened it in January 2019 and it actually graduated in July of the same year. My initial deposit was only $500. Like you I paid my bills on time but you should always leave a small balance on your card when it actually does report in order to show activity on the account. I would suggest speaking with someone in Customer Service to inquire as to why it hasnt graduated. 

Message 5 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

The lender in question has access to the transaction record and that is what determines your eligibility for anything.

Showing a balance is for other lenders, or to optimize FICO by not having all your revolvers at $0.

Graduation failures could be any of a number of other things but ultimately just start opening unsecured lines. I suspect BOFA and Discover could reach higher echelons from secured but I haven’t pushed my markers with either.

        
Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@visualfxpro wrote:

Have you contacted the banks and request for unsecured status? If so, what was their response.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.