cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob help please: Which cards? What I should ask for etc?

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Noob help please: Which cards? What I should ask for etc?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Backdoor-Numbers/m-p/408066

I'd caution about doing to much too soon. You have a good plan to pay off and

keep utilization low, but that is going to be a change for you. I'd look into adjusting

your slate/freedom limits to facilitate a balance transfer of your whole BoA balance

and call it good for now. It may be overly cautious, but I'd live with just the new credit

you have for 6 months or a year and see how the discipline feels and the balances

go. Being overly cautious costs nothing other than deferring CL's you aren't intending 

to use anyway, right?

I have a BoA AlaskaAir visa I've had for twenty years and I agree, BoA stinks. You'll

find Chase better to deal with. 

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 11 of 21
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Thanks,

Just did the AMEX Gold without the rewards, the annual fee is more important to me right now then extra points, and also everyday and was approved for both. I guess I have to make an online account to see my CL with the Everday card?

Started: 4/14 Bank of America Signature $6k, 85% Utilization, 745 Fako
Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 12 of 21
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Yes,

Just getting the cards to have them there for an emergency, big expense if I move for a new job etc. def wont be changing my spending habits Smiley Happy

Currently: 6/18 Bank of America Signature $99.9k, Chase Slate $0, Chase Freedom Signature $2.5k, American Express Gold NSL, American Express Everyday $6k, Lowes GE $0 (From $35k), Discover IT $38.5k, Capital One Quicksilver $5k, Barclays US Airways $24k, DCU Platinum $30k, PenFed Promise $47k, Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature (From CSP) $50k, Chase AARP Signature $7.5k, American Express Blue Cash $7.5k, Citi American Airlines Platinum $10.5k, Capital One Venture Signature $30k, Chase Sapphire Preferred (From Reserve) $12k, Chase Ink Business Preferred $10k, Barclays Aviator Business $14k. Total Available Credit: Over $350k, Utilization 4%, AAoA 7 Years, TU Fico 799, EX Fico 727
Message 13 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

@signaturecardmember wrote:

Thanks,

Just did the AMEX Gold without the rewards, the annual fee is more important to me right now then extra points, and also everyday and was approved for both. I guess I have to make an online account to see my CL with the Everday card?

Congrats X2

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 14 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Thanks,

congrats but since it's free for first year you just burned yoruself on that gold

you can call the status line and find out CL for everyday.

congrats though... 

Message 15 of 21
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys!

With the Rewards though can you switch to the non rewards after the first year for the lower annual fee?

Just called the Slate line and was upped from $3k to $8k after requesting $14k so I will move my full BOA balance to this card and work it down Smiley Happy

Also an FYI the first recon line for Chase 888-270-2127 (App recon) has been disconnected. Not sure who to alert so it gets removed from teh list.

Message 16 of 21
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Thanks guys!

With the Rewards though can you switch to the non rewards after the first year for the lower annual fee?

Just called the Slate line and was upped from $3k to $8k after requesting $14k so I will move my full BOA balance to this card and work it down Smiley Happy

Also an FYI the first recon line for Chase 888-270-2127 (App recon) has been disconnected. Not sure who to alert so it gets removed from teh list.

you are on a roll!

Message 17 of 21
myjourney
Super Contributor

Thanks guys!

The Gold low AF card has no rewards unless you wish to add and then it cost more 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 18 of 21
signaturecardmember
Frequent Contributor

Makes sense.

Went ahead and applied for PenFed after opening account and was declined likely due to my high utilization and my account for Navy FCU is under review so I am doe for today. Very happy and greatful for my blessings Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 21
vish1
Valued Contributor

Makes sense.

Went ahead and applied for PenFed after opening account and was declined likely due to my high utilization and my account for Navy FCU is under review so I am doe for today. Very happy and greatful for my blessings Smiley Happy

You have total of 10k on your chase cards. You can move some limit from freedom to Slate. Say make it 7-8k on slate and rest on freedom.

then you can transfer about 3-3.5k out of your current card to Slate. This will bring you to 1 card with 0 balance and 3500/8000 on ur slate and about 1000/6000 on ur current card.

This will put you in a good shape in terms of util and you can pay down quickly coz of lower interests.

Hope this helps.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.