Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom Recon Experience

tag
bribro
Valued Contributor

Nordstrom Recon Experience

So I got a little bit over my skis yesterday and applied for a Nordstrom Visa Signature card. I had three very recent inquiries on my report at the time of application: One three days ago from Mercedes-Benz Financial Services (car loan), another earlier that morning from Chase (Ink Plus and CSP MC), and another earlier that morning from Citibank (Dividend CLI).

I had no intention of applying for the Nordstrom card when I walked into the store, but upon check-out the sales associate mentioned the tailoring credit (I was buying suits at the Half Yearly sale anyway) and, more importantly, early access to the Anniversary Sale next month. I mentioned my concern about the recent inquiries, but the associate said I should just give it a shot anyway if I have good credit, so I took his advice and did (my mistake). I knew it was bad when the the sales associate said something to effect of "Well, can the customer at least speak to you to explain?" The person on the line in the Nordstrom credit department said no, and that it was a decline.

After the initial rejection I called the number for Nordstrom Card Services and asked for an analyst to review my application. The analyst said I was rejected for too many recent inquiries of course, and said there was nothing she could do. Sensing my astonishment, she offered to escalate my application to a senior credit analyst. After being put on hold for a few minutes she came back and said, yup, we have to decline you because of the inquiries and that the decision was "final." I asked to speak to the senior credit analyst myself; she connected us and he reiterated that because of the inquiries they had to decline my application, and that it was a bank policy. He said my score was over 800, there were no late payments, etc., but they have a strict policy to reject people with too many inquiries.

Well, that kinda messed up my day. I've been a very loyal customer to Nordstrom for many years, was applying at a time when I was making a significant purchase, etc. I was pretty upset that my first credit rejection ever came from applying for a store card.

After I got home I decided to give it one last shot. I wrote a rather lengthy five paragraph email to credit@nordstrom.com explaining my spotless credit history, the nature of my recent inquiries, the extent of my purchase history and loyalty to Nordstrom, how I told the associate about my concern over the inquiries before applying, and ended it with a thinly veiled threat that I would not be buying the suits I had on hold and would take my business elsewhere if they would not approve me for the card (yeah, I was mad).

I received a call the following morning from some guy saying he was a Vice President for the credit division and that I was approved for $5k. Yahoo! Off to the "garden" I go.

Moral of the story: Do not apply for a Nordstrom card if you have recent inquiries, even just three. They are not app-o-rama friendly. And if you get rejected over the phone, give email a shot, that way they have to read your whole explanation before making a decision.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
surfnspy
Contributor

Re: Nordstrom Recon Experience

Good save. EQ pull?

EX: 750 (05/2015) | EQ: 765 (5/2015) | TU: 765 (5/2015)

Barclays World MasterCard CL: $19K
Capital One MasterCard CL: $3.9K (sock drawer)
CHASE Sapphire Preferred Visa Sig CL: $20K
JPM Ritz Carlton Visa Sig CL: $20K
Inquiries: 1 (EX) 0 (TU) 0 (EQ)
Message 2 of 26
CS800
Super Contributor

Congrats !!

I take it you got the Visa Sig?

Message 3 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They are one of those banks that once "IN" they can be insanely nice and crazy about CLI and APR reduction etc. (at least YEARS ago when I had 2 cards) but they get just stupid sometimes with declining apps... I mean I would see your credit profile and be like ummm I need to talk to this person while they are standing at the register to say thank you for coming to our store and applying for our card, anything else I can do sort of thing... they do write the credit themselves after all! but instead you have what happened to you!

I mean I don't know how much they have changed but when I say crazy credit once in... I "use" to go to the "Private" events where they close the store at 7 or 8pm and customers that spend a certain amount get invited and it's food and booze flowing on trays by waiters all around the store... I have shopped at multiple of these events with COMPLETELY MAXED out cards (Platinum and a Signature Visa) from them and they have approved all my charges... one night was told they would not increase the credit line on the signature but did in the end approve 3 charges for a total of about $1800 over credit line... when statement came they HAD increased the credit line by $2k so just had a normal minimum instead of the $2k+ I had planned on.... my friend with me one time was also over her limit on store card and wanted to buy a "little" present for herself and i said it's not a problem just do it... sales associate rang it up... called up and a few minutes later limit had been increased and purchase was made!

now i share the extreme side of what probably not to do with credit and overextending yourself but why do that but then decline 800+ score with multiple $100k limits!!!

Message 4 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

Grats! How many inquiries on EQ do you have in total and how many are there in past 6 months besides those 3 that u mentioned?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

@surfnspy wrote:

Good save. EQ pull?

Yup, Nordstrom, Chase, Citibank and Mercedes-Benz all pulled EQ for me, and none of the other bureaus. It's tempting to continue with a mini AoR and try for some issuers that pull EX or TU, but not going to risk it.

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 6 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Congrats !!

I take it you got the Visa Sig?

Thanks. Yup, they gave me a $5k CL, which I assume is the smallest line they do for that card. It makes no difference to me though because I will be using other cards to get 5x-6x in UR points, which are worth a whole lot more than Nordstrom Notes even on triple point days. I got the card for the tailoring allowance, early access to sales, and I wanted another store card since I don't have many.

Message 7 of 26
enharu
Super Contributor

So you were initially denied for having only 3 recent inquiries?

Thanks for the info too! I was planning to get this at the end of the year.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
So you were initially denied for having only 3 recent inquiries?

Thanks for the info too! I was planning to get this at the end of the year.

Yup, three recent inquiries. To be fair, two of them were from earlier that same day, and the third was from just three days prior. I had a fourth HP from 3 months ago and another HP or two from 6 months ago. It probably looks really bad without context, but it was frustrating that they wouldn't even let me explain over the phone. The credit analyst that initiatlly rejected me said I'd have a really good shot at getting approved if I tried again just one month later and didn't have any HPs in the interim.

Message 9 of 26
bribro
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Grats! How many inquiries on EQ do you have in total and how many are there in past 6 months besides those 3 that u mentioned?

I just checked and there are 4 HPs on EQ within the past 6 months (including those 3 HPs within the past week). 6 HPs in total on EQ within the past year.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.