cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom Store CC and Nordstrom Visa Decision...

tag
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Nordstrom Store CC and Nordstrom Visa Decision...

Almost a year ago in February I app-ed for and was approved for a Nordstrom store card with a $1K limit. The idea was to grow it into the Visa version if I wasn't already approved for it at the time of the app. My EX at the time was around 670-ish with one public records derog still showing. However since the approval I've learned they (TD Bank) no longer graduate the store cards to the Visa card. Also my EX is now over 700 (702 to be exact) and the derog has dropped off since then. I feel I may now qualify for the Visa version which was the original card I wanted eventually anyway. Should I go ahead and apply for the Visa version now with a slightly better EX and dump the store card if approved? Also if yes should I do it online or in store-or will it make no diffeence? BTW the CL on the store card has since increased to $3K.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nordstrom Store CC and Nordstrom Visa Decision...

Are you sure they won’t grad the card? I know you can no longer ask, but I thought they did “invites” to upgrade. 

Message 2 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you sure they won’t grad the card? I know you can no longer ask, but I thought they did “invites” to upgrade. 

I've read both: that they no longer do the upgrades period--and they do upgrade invitations--but have not seen any recent posts or reports of people getting the upgrades since at least last August. If this is true (invites) I might be willing to hold out and wait for an invite. Anyone out there know for sure?

BUSINESS
Message 3 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read both: that they no longer do the upgrades period--and they do upgrade invitations--but have not seen any recent posts or reports of people getting the upgrades since at least last August. If this is true (invites) I might be willing to hold out and wait for an invite. Anyone out there know for sure?

I haven't seen any recent data points that state otherwise.  You could be waiting for a very long time (ok if you want) to even determine whether (a) the targeted invites are still ongoing (b) their frequency and/or (c) whether you even qualify for said invite (if available). 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are your other cards?  With a 702 EQ you should be able to better cards with rewards.  What is your EX?

I'm not a huge fan of store cards.  Mine are canceled.

Message 5 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't seen any recent data points that state otherwise.  You could be waiting for a very long time (ok if you want) to even determine whether (a) the targeted invites are still ongoing (b) their frequency and/or (c) whether you even qualify for said invite (if available). 

Exactly--I haven't seen anything since late last Summer about someone getting an upgrade--whether requested or through an invitation-but plenty of posts here on the forum since then where people with $5K+ store card CLs have called in for an upgrade and been told by a CSR/rep/etc. that they don't do upgrades any more. Which leads me to believe upgrades are no longer available through any means period.

BUSINESS
Message 6 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are your other cards?  With a 702 EQ you should be able to better cards with rewards.  What is your EX?

I'm not a huge fan of store cards.  Mine are canceled.

702 is the EX score. Unfortunately my EQ comes in last of the 3 CRAs at 689-but it's slowly inching up there. Out of 38 accts. I have only about 7 or 8 that are store cards--most of which I acquired at the beginning of my rebuild over 4 years ago and have kept open for AAOA purposes. The remainder are major CCs. When I app-ed for Nordstrom last year-I didn't intend for it to stay the store version eternally.

BUSINESS
Message 7 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Exactly--I haven't seen anything since late last Summer about someone getting an upgrade--whether requested or through an invitation-but plenty of posts here on the forum since then where people with $5K+ store card CLs have called in for an upgrade and been told by a CSR/rep/etc. that they don't do upgrades any more. Which leads me to believe upgrades are no longer available through any means period.

So, is this something of need or want (i.e. everyone has one I want one too)?  If you feel that you'd quantify the use of the Visa outside of Nordstrom to build rewards, then I can see why that could be of appeal.  You could always apply in store and see if you'd get approved for either the Platinum or Signature.

Message 8 of 19
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Finstar: More of a want than a need. I rarely shop Nordstrom and would def. get more use of the card if I could use it outside of the store. One of the main reasons I got it was to further diversify my profile by getting a card with TD Bank. However I didn't want one of their regular Visa CCs because they are super-conservative for the most part with those--whereas with Nordstrom they seem a little more relaxed with the limits. That's why I took the Nordstrom route instead.

BUSINESS
Message 9 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Credit-hoarder wrote:

@FinStar: More of a want than a need. I rarely shop Nordstrom and would def. get more use of the card if I could use it outside of the store. One of the main reasons I got it was to further diversify my profile by getting a card with TD Bank. However I didn't want one of their regular Visa CCs because they are super-conservative for the most part with those--whereas with Nordstrom they seem a little more relaxed with the limits. That's why I took the Nordstrom route instead.

I'm not sure what their current UW criteria might be for their Visa (Platinum or Signature), but perhaps someone who's recently gone through any recent approvals can provide some insight.  I guess the only question, is it worth chasing absent the upgrade if you could find something comparable that you could quantify using more?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.