Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nordstrom - from 500 to !!!!

tag
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Nordstrom - from 500 to !!!!

Hey all!

So I have the Nordstrom store card now, and have had it for about 6 months. My payment history is excellent. I'm interested in getting a VISA with them. My current card with them has a $500 limit. Just wondering from anyone else who went from a store card of 500 to a visa....what was your request for increase? I'd like a 3,000 or 5,000 limit and know that's quite a jump. Just want to be reasonable.  Thanks for your input!!!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734
Goal Score for January 2014: 750-809 range

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

Re: Nordstrom - from 500 to !!!!

If you call customer service and ask for a CLI, they will ask about your current income, place you on hold while they check your file, and then will tell you what they can increase your limit to. I think you need to get to 5k for the visa.

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 2 of 9
logan_720
Established Contributor

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Hey all!

So I have the Nordstrom store card now, and have had it for about 6 months. My payment history is excellent. I'm interested in getting a VISA with them. My current card with them has a $500 limit. Just wondering from anyone else who went from a store card of 500 to a visa....what was your request for increase? I'd like a 3,000 or 5,000 limit and know that's quite a jump. Just want to be reasonable.  Thanks for your input!!!

You do realize that by asking for a $5,000 limit, you are asking for ten times your current limit, and at $5,000, it would be a Visa Signature. You have only had the card for 6 months, I would try for $2-3k.

Message 3 of 9
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

My Nordstrom card started with a $1000 CL.  I had it for 3 years and then after reading these boards decided to call and see if I could get an upgrade to their Visa Signature.  The rep said in order to upgrade my Nordstrom store card has to be at least a $5K CL.  So he said he would do a CLI for me instead.  So they knocked it up to $2500.  He told me to call back in 4-6 months and request another increase and once it increases to $5K, then I could upgrade to the signature.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Message 4 of 9
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

Ask for what you want and let them counter. Be honest with the rep "my goal is to get the Visa upgrade, so what can you do for me today" and see what they say.
Message 5 of 9
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone for responding so far. Lady Rover, your comment was especially helpful. Thanks!

Current 2013 Score: ScoreWatch Transunion: 737, ScoreWatch Equifax: 723, Nordstrom Equifax: 734

Message 6 of 9
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@MissExcellentCredit wrote:

Thanks to everyone for responding so far. Lady Rover, your comment was especially helpful. Thanks!

Glad I could help. Let us know your results.

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Message 7 of 9
GWilliam
Valued Member

I have had my Nordies store card for a few years and up until last November never asked for a CLi. I just went from $750 to $2500, and in 4 months will see if I can double it, or at least get another $1k as I'm also working towards that $5k minimum for upgrading to the siggy card! I plan to charge about $1.5k on it (need new work clothes) and pay it off in one or two months, before I ask for another increase. I have heard if you only ask for increases and don't charge on it you will get a few hundred in CLI or none as they want you to use your increased CL. Best of luck and keep us posted as to your journey of getting a siggy card from Nordstrom!

Starting Score: EQ 530 TU 550
Current Score: EQ 693 TU 697
Goal Score: 720+

Message 8 of 9
MissExcellentCredit
Regular Contributor

Thanks GWilliam. Yeah, Nordstrom likes you to spend, and then pay back of course. I like to get whats on sale and that helps me spend wisely without blowing my budget, but still being able to put "something" on the card, and then pay it off right away.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.