cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Sending In 4506T For Amex CLI (Questions)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Not Sending In 4506T For Amex CLI (Questions)

@EvilR-T wrote:

Why don't you just send it? Problem solved.

Because some people have privacy concerns?

Message 11 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@EvilR-T wrote:

Why don't you just send it? Problem solved.

Because some people have privacy concerns?

Exactly.  If I'm ever asked I'm going to strongly consider not sending it in 

Message 12 of 47
EvilR-T
Frequent Contributor

So you'll let a creditor know your social, address and phone number, mother's maiden name, when, where and what you buy, where you work, and willingly let them know income. But proving income is where you draw the line? I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just trying to understand the logic.

Message 13 of 47
empiror22
Regular Contributor

evilr-t

I agree with you  so much i have been a part of this forum for a year or so.  I always read how people get upset with a company whom is loaning you money or credit (some as loaning money) ask for reasonable documentation about your income.  its a business relationship, you have their cards and they want to ensure you can pay them. 

Message 14 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@empiror22 wrote:

evilr-t

I agree with you  so much i have been a part of this forum for a year or so.  I always read how people get upset with a company whom is loaning you money or credit (some as loaning money) ask for reasonable documentation about your income.  its a business relationship, you have their cards and they want to ensure you can pay them. 

There is quite a difference between providing say pay-stubs, or even a W2, and a tax transcript.  If you are filing jointly, the transcript provides private financial info about someone who may not be on the card.  It can also show stuff you have no interest in Amex knowing, if you are blind,  number of dependents etc, it is WAY more intrusive than it needs to be (see what other companies do with exactly the same concerns).   It also doesn't provide asset information, so doesn't really answer the question of whether you can pay.

Just because you don't have concerns doesn't mean the question isn't entirely valid.   Amex's process is outside the norm.

Message 15 of 47
techiegirl
Regular Contributor

I just refinanced and had to provide w-2 and tax returns to the bank for the mortgage.  I don't see what difference is it if cc companies see that information as well.  A loan is a loan. Granted, the amount is different.  

FICO: EQ - 809 TU- 808 EX - 797
Message 16 of 47
sosabe77
Contributor

@EvilR-T wrote:

So you'll let a creditor know your social, address and phone number, mother's maiden name, when, where and what you buy, where you work, and willingly let them know income. But proving income is where you draw the line? I'm not trying to start an argument here, I'm just trying to understand the logic.

Some of us might be members of an international criminal conglomerate and don't wanna bring any extra heat on our friends in Mejico or Mother Russia.  Smiley Wink

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 47
sosabe77
Contributor

@techiegirl wrote:

I just refinanced and had to provide w-2 and tax returns to the bank for the mortgage.  I don't see what difference is it if cc companies see that information as well.  A loan is a loan. Granted, the amount is different.  

Well, there's obviously a difference...evidenced by the fact that mortgage companies always ask for that information and CC companies rarely, if ever, do.  Lol.

Message 18 of 47
NRB525
Super Contributor

@sosabe77 wrote:

@techiegirl wrote:

Well, there's obviously a difference...evidenced by the fact that mortgage companies always ask for that information and CC companies rarely, if ever, do.  Lol.

As one begins to cross $25k in available credit on a single card, however, the exposure the lender has grows, the potential difficulty in collecting grows. As the AMEX CLI are granted, you are given one little box to assure them "Yeah, I make $XXX per year" and they trust you. Beyond a certain point, however, they have to ask "Show us we can trust you".

You can choose not to provide the 4506-T when asked, and will just be capped with the existing credit limit.

And yes, I realize you may not ever use that $26k CL, but the nature of credit lines is, if granted, it's there. And they have little subsequent control over you using that. So, they put up this gate to re-baseline their trust for you. You choose whether you really need the CL.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 47
sosabe77
Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

@techiegirl wrote:

As one begins to cross $25k in available credit on a single card, however, the exposure the lender has grows, the potential difficulty in collecting grows. As the AMEX CLI are granted, you are given one little box to assure them "Yeah, I make $XXX per year" and they trust you. Beyond a certain point, however, they have to ask "Show us we can trust you".

You can choose not to provide the 4506-T when asked, and will just be capped with the existing credit limit.

And yes, I realize you may not ever use that $26k CL, but the nature of credit lines is, if granted, it's there. And they have little subsequent control over you using that. So, they put up this gate to re-baseline their trust for you. You choose whether you really need the CL.

Cheers!

I understand why they do it.  I was just addressing her comment that there's no difference because "a loan is a loan".  That was an oversimplification that completely disregarded installment vs revolving, inherent term length, etc.

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.