Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not a bad deal - Target CC / or Debit card

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Not a bad deal - Target CC / or Debit card

If you apply from now to the 28th of this month for a Target CC or debit card and spend 100 you get $50 back.  I wouldn't do the credit card personally, but the debit card since no hp's or chexs or anything else i am considering opening for a free $50.  I personally hate target, but work just gave me a whopping 100 target gift card i gotta use some time or another in a drawing so this caught my eye as well.  I was looking at pairing it with the 50 from this offer for an ipad at 249$, but apple products are excluded so i am sure i can find something else at "TARGEY" that will still work.  Anyone looking for a free 50$ I would suggest going for the debit over credit, but either work.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/apply-for-a-new-target-redcard-debit-credit-and-get-50-off-100-shoppi...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not a bad deal - Target CC / or Debit card

It took me about an hour of shopping on the Target app to get a cart of $100 that didn’t have things which were excluded from the coupon when I used my $40 coupon on Friday and in the end I stocked up on my favorite Maranatha almond butter, grabbed Kingdom Hearts 3 for my Xbox One X, Larabars, and my Dr. Bronners soap.

I really dislike that they have so many exclusions on the coupon — I ended up paying full price for my iPad Mini on Amazon on Friday.
Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Why i dislike coupons and discounts from Retailers. Almost always stuff you want to buy to get the discount are excludedSmiley Sad. No Target in PR due to a dumb Rent a Car place owning the name so i couldnt enjoy this anyway. Lol, i think i could apply but since they dont ship here, lolSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

If you apply from now to the 28th of this month for a Target CC or debit card and spend 100 you get $50 back.  I wouldn't do the credit card personally, but the debit card since no hp's or chexs or anything else i am considering opening for a free $50.  I personally hate target, but work just gave me a whopping 100 target gift card i gotta use some time or another in a drawing so this caught my eye as well.  I was looking at pairing it with the 50 from this offer for an ipad at 249$, but apple products are excluded so i am sure i can find something else at "TARGEY" that will still work.  Anyone looking for a free 50$ I would suggest going for the debit over credit, but either work.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/apply-for-a-new-target-redcard-debit-credit-and-get-50-off-100-shoppi...

Buy something at Target for $250 and use the discounts. ASK FOR A GIFT RECEIPT. Return $250 item with GIFT receipt and get a store credit for $250. Buy whatever you want with $250 store credit and still have the discounts under your belt.

Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Buy something at Target for $250 and use the discounts. ASK FOR A GIFT RECEIPT. Return $250 item with GIFT receipt and get a store credit for $250. Buy whatever you want with $250 store credit and still have the discounts under your belt.

Interesting work around..  Suppose with a target debit card one has to link one of their FI's accounts to it or is it a pre-load type thing or either?  

Message 5 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@ChargedUp wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Interesting work around..  Suppose with a target debit card one has to link one of their FI's accounts to it or is it a pre-load type thing or either?  

The Target Debit card ties to your checking account and works just like the debit card issued from your FI

Message 6 of 11
PutThatMoneyOnTheTable
Established Contributor

But wouldn't the gift receipt be for the actual amount you paid for the item??

Curious🤔
Amex BCP $35k
Chase FU $19.6k
BOA Cash Rewards $36k
BJs Perks Plus M/C $22k
Cap1 QS $4,950 (AU)
Best Buy $4k
Wells Fargo Active Cash $11.3
Message 7 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@PutThatMoneyOnTheTable wrote:
But wouldn't the gift receipt be for the actual amount you paid for the item??

Curious🤔

The gift receipt essentially proves you didn't "steal" the item and allows the store to know what the value of the item and tax rate paid when it was purchased. The payment method discounts only come into play if you're returning for cash or credit back to a credit card.  This also proves that an item currently on sale or now on clearance wasn't discounted when first purchased. Discounts on payment methods do not come into play.

I had a coupon for 10% off an electronics purchase one holiday season. My daughter wanted an I-pad but Apple products are almost always excluded. I bought a surround sound system for $250 and saved $25. I returned the surround sound system with a gift receipt and got a store credit for $250 + 8.25% tax. Used the store credit for the I-pad without issue.

Target is assuming that you gave the item to someone else and to streamline the return process (and make the idea of purchasing "gifts" from Target more palatable as they do not allow returns without a receipt anymore.) This allows your gift recipient to receive full value for whatever you bought them.

Message 8 of 11
disney2
Regular Contributor

Do you know what score they pull?  I've had the debit card for years but am interested in the credit card.

Message 9 of 11
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@disney2 wrote:

Do you know what score they pull?  I've had the debit card for years but am interested in the credit card.

Equifax seems to be the norm from what I've heard around here.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.