Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not an approval but some upgrades!

tag
Jervo007
New Contributor

Not an approval but some upgrades!

I am in the midst of buying a home after working on improving my credit score over the last two years. So, I'm not going to be signing up for any new cards. I figured, why not try for upgrades? And while I'm at it - ask for an adjusted APR on my cards if available. Here's where I got this past weekend.

Capital One, bottom of the barrel "Platinum" Card. CL: $3,500

Upgraded to Quicksilver Card, APR is variable so nothing they would adjust.

Discover IT (Secured, but graduated) Card - THE OG! My first CC on my way to rebuilding credit back in late 2018. CL: $4,500

Upgraded to IT Cash Back Card, 1%/5% cashback. They gave me 0% APR for 12 months.

Citi Double Cash Card. CL: $3,500 ** Update. Just got a CLI of $1,000 out of the blue today! (5/19)

Converted to the Citi Costco Anywhere Card.  We do hit Costco fairly often. The rewards are pretty spot on too. Pretty stoked on this! 

American Express Gold. CL: No preset spending limit

I qualified for an upgrade to the Platinum Card, but I just don't travel enough to justify the $550 fee. The Gold card hits the sweet spot because of 4X points at grocery stores and restaurants. This basically funds our trips to Italy each year through points. APR is variable. 

Chase "Slate" Card - again, bottom of the barrel. CL: $3,500

This was the only card I didn't have a chance to call for upgrade options. Maybe this weekend I'll see what they have for me.

I've really got an itch for a new card, but I know I can't based on a home purcahse in the near future, so this was the only thing I could do to scratch it! I will continue to requeset CLI's for the cards each month as well. If you're in the same boat, I highly suggest calling your cards to see what they have for you! 

Thanks for reading! 

Amex Gold | Amex BCP | Amex BBP | Discover Cash Back | Citi Costco Anywhere | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Ink Business Cash | Capital One QS
EX8: 774 | TU8: 744 | EQ8: 744 | Fico 9: 792
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Not an approval but some upgrades!

Congrats on the upperlimits and upgrades...Nice job!!! 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your product upgrades!
Message 3 of 15
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the upgrades!  It's nice to see your lenders help you out.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 15
Jervo007
New Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Congrats on the upgrades!  It's nice to see your lenders help you out

Thanks! Never hurts to reach out. Each company made it really easy too. Whether I was given something or not. 

Amex Gold | Amex BCP | Amex BBP | Discover Cash Back | Citi Costco Anywhere | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Ink Business Cash | Capital One QS
Message 5 of 15
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Jervo007 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Congrats on the upgrades!  It's nice to see your lenders help you out

Thanks! Never hurts to reach out. Each company made it really easy too. Whether I was given something or not. 

Right on! 

Cap1 gave me an upgrade from Platinum to Quicksilver about a year ago, which was pretty cool.

I'm gonna call up Navy soon and ask for an APR reduction on my Cash Rewards Visa. We'll see 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 15
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your upgrades!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 15
Jervo007
New Contributor

***Update***

I just converted my Citi Double Cash card to the Citi Costco Anywhere Card.  We do hit Costco fairly often. The rewards are pretty spot on too. Can't wait to go throw down $500 over there and then grab a $1.50 hotdog/soda. 

Message 8 of 15
nwa479
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Great job getting the upgrades 

Active cards

Goal Cards (Gardening until April 24)

My Fico Scores

Banks and Credit Unions:
Message 9 of 15
Titans84
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the upgrades and good luck with Chase!

Current FICO 8:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.