cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read

Nick1207
Member

Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read

So recently I been checking to see if I prequalify for any new credit cards and haven't had any luck. 

currently my fico 8 scores are - 

 

Experian - 713

Transunion - 722

Equifax - 719

 

I've the follow cards/loans - 

 

First Progress Secured $200 10 months

Self Loan $500 10 months 

Capital One Unsecured $1000 2 months 

Credit One Unsecured $400 1 month 

 

my total card ultizalation is 10% all payments on time. Just have 1 inquiry on TU and 1 on Equifax that aren't linked to any of my accounts. Both almost a year old. 


anyway I tired doing a few things lately and haven't been getting prequalified for anything.

 

First A few weeks back I did a Amex prequalify and got like 3 offers but I didn't go through with any of them at that time. Then I went to open up a Amex bluebird and serve prepaid card to get in their system and got denied for both. Then went back to their credit prequalify page and didn't get accepted for anything. 

then I went to go add a tradeline with high limit from AGjewlers and got denied for that also when everybody gets approved for that. 

I also tried Discover and they couldn't offer me anything not even a secured card. 

is there a reason for this ? 

 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read


@Nick1207 wrote:

So recently I been checking to see if I prequalify for any new credit cards and haven't had any luck. 

currently my fico 8 scores are - 

 

Experian - 713

Transunion - 722

Equifax - 719

 

I've the follow cards/loans - 

 

First Progress Secured $200 10 months

Self Loan $500 10 months 

Capital One Unsecured $1000 2 months 

Credit One Unsecured $400 1 month 

 

my total card ultizalation is 10% all payments on time. Just have 1 inquiry on TU and 1 on Equifax that aren't linked to any of my accounts. Both almost a year old. 


anyway I tired doing a few things lately and haven't been getting prequalified for anything.

 

First A few weeks back I did a Amex prequalify and got like 3 offers but I didn't go through with any of them at that time. Then I went to open up a Amex bluebird and serve prepaid card to get in their system and got denied for both. Then went back to their credit prequalify page and didn't get accepted for anything. 

then I went to go add a tradeline with high limit from AGjewlers and got denied for that also when everybody gets approved for that. 

I also tried Discover and they couldn't offer me anything not even a secured card. 

is there a reason for this ? 

 


None of your accounts are a year old yet?  Assuming no negatives/derogatories on your reports? 

 

Appears you just need to be patient and allow the cards you have to age.  Let your youngest age to at least 6 months and try again. 

 

That said - i don't believe Amex does a credit check for the Bluebird debit - so that denial may be an indication of a different issue - perhaps related to identification?  Maybe call Amex and see if they can provide any additional info as to why you were denied a prepaid account. 

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 11/2020: EX 780 ✦ EQ 771 ✦ TU 781
Current FICO 9s | 11/2020: EX 793 ✦ EQ 780 ✦ TU 778
2020 Goal Score | 800s


My AAoA: 3.8 years not incl. AU / 4 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 7.10 years not incl. AU / 9.10 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/6 | 1/12 ✦ EQ 1/6 | 2/12 ✦ TU 0/6 | 1/12
Report Status: Clean


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 8
Nick1207
Member

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read

@thornback @No negatives. Just was concerned cause I had originally prequalified then just started getting denied for stuff that anybody gets approved from and haven't prequalified for anything else since. 

Message 3 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read


@Nick1207 wrote:

@thornback @No negatives. Just was concerned cause I had originally prequalified then just started getting denied for stuff that anybody gets approved from and haven't prequalified for anything else since. 


@Nick1207  Yeah, sorry - I actually edited my initial post to address the Bluebird decline-  there may be a broader issue at play because i don't think there's a credit check for the Bluebird debit - so there may be an ID verification problem..

Personal Aphorism:
"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"


Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 11/2020: EX 780 ✦ EQ 771 ✦ TU 781
Current FICO 9s | 11/2020: EX 793 ✦ EQ 780 ✦ TU 778
2020 Goal Score | 800s


My AAoA: 3.8 years not incl. AU / 4 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 7.10 years not incl. AU / 9.10 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/6 | 1/12 ✦ EQ 1/6 | 2/12 ✦ TU 0/6 | 1/12
Report Status: Clean


Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 8
Remedios
Moderator

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read


@Nick1207 wrote:

So recently I been checking to see if I prequalify for any new credit cards and haven't had any luck. 

currently my fico 8 scores are - 

 

Experian - 713

Transunion - 722

Equifax - 719

 

I've the follow cards/loans - 

 

First Progress Secured $200 10 months

Self Loan $500 10 months 

Capital One Unsecured $1000 2 months 

Credit One Unsecured $400 1 month 

 

my total card ultizalation is 10% all payments on time. Just have 1 inquiry on TU and 1 on Equifax that aren't linked to any of my accounts. Both almost a year old. 


anyway I tired doing a few things lately and haven't been getting prequalified for anything.

 

First A few weeks back I did a Amex prequalify and got like 3 offers but I didn't go through with any of them at that time. Then I went to open up a Amex bluebird and serve prepaid card to get in their system and got denied for both. Then went back to their credit prequalify page and didn't get accepted for anything. 

then I went to go add a tradeline with high limit from AGjewlers and got denied for that also when everybody gets approved for that. 

I also tried Discover and they couldn't offer me anything not even a secured card. 

is there a reason for this ? 

 


 

You have extremely short credit history, and you keep applying every few months.

With such short history, you need to let your accounts age. If you are unwilling to let accounts age, you will have to go with secured cards or squirrelly lenders. 

 

Just think about it this way, your oldest account only has 9 payments. That's simply not long enough to establish what kind of customer you would be, putting you in a very risky category. 

 

If you aren't willing to wait, look at other secured cards, I don't think you will have much in terms of luck with major lenders right now. 

That could easily change if your garden for 6 to 12 months. 

 

Undead Danny Trejo looks strangely like dead Danny Trejo, who looks exactly like alive Danny Trejo. Thanks, Netflix!
Message 5 of 8
Nick1207
Member

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read

@Remedios I actually wasn't applying for any new cards. Yes originally I had checked Amex's preapproval but didn't apply for the cards I they prapproved me for. It was after I got denied for the bluebird card I checked again and notice they didn't offer me anything. So I also tried discover just to see and something. So I was concerned being that I also got denied for at jewelers who approves everybody. 

Message 6 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read


@Nick1207 wrote:

@Remedios I actually wasn't applying for any new cards. Yes originally I had checked Amex's preapproval but didn't apply for the cards I they prapproved me for. It was after I got denied for the bluebird card I checked again and notice they didn't offer me anything. So I also tried discover just to see and something. So I was concerned being that I also got denied for at jewelers who approves everybody. 


You keep saying that, but that's not true. Everyone gets approved for whatever their profile qualifies for/whatever a lender is comfortable with. Maybe AG approves most people, but that doesn't mean everyone. As others have mentioned already, I think what you need is just time and patience. Let your accounts age a bit.

 

Pre-qualification doesn't guarantee approval, anyway. Likewise, you could still be approved without having any pre-qualification/pre-approvals show up.


Last App: 04/05/2021
Penfed Signature Loan

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 7 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Not prequalifying for any cards (Need Help) Plz Read


@OmarGB9 wrote:

@Nick1207 wrote:

@Remedios I actually wasn't applying for any new cards. Yes originally I had checked Amex's preapproval but didn't apply for the cards I they prapproved me for. It was after I got denied for the bluebird card I checked again and notice they didn't offer me anything. So I also tried discover just to see and something. So I was concerned being that I also got denied for at jewelers who approves everybody. 


You keep saying that, but that's not true. Everyone gets approved for whatever their profile qualifies for/whatever a lender is comfortable with. Maybe AG approves most people, but that doesn't mean everyone. As others have mentioned already, I think what you need is just time and patience. Let your accounts age a bit.

 

Pre-qualification doesn't guarantee approval, anyway. Likewise, you could still be approved without having any pre-qualification/pre-approvals show up.


This .

 

Prequals are not everything and waiting for them isnt necessary.  Time is most important here. Being new to credit with 2 or 3 tradelines, if you give it time to establish payment history, you will find it easier to get those better lenders than Credit One. Then your 700 scores will have more meaning. As of now those are thin 700s and they dont carry much weight 

NN7! Fico math 1 HP = 20 CG LIEr Club Plankowner
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.