Did you mean: 

Not prequalifying for anything

tag
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

Not prequalifying for anything

Have scores in low 610s

BK, chapter 7, discharge Dec. 2016

Have Discover IT card, unsecured, original limit $1,800 (Sept. 2017), auto CLI to $2,200 (about one year later)... denied LUV button increases

Cannot get any prequalifies:

-Tried US Bank (burned them for about $300 on a secured card, but been with them as a customer since 2007)

-Tried Capitol One (burned them for about $1200, not prequalifying or getting approved for any card)--weird that they auto re-financed me less than 1 year out of BK though (used 2014 Honda Accord).

-Tried AMEX (burned them for about $15,000, never gonna get them)

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not prequalifying for anything

I would say work on getting your scores up with getting a secured card and make the monthly payments on time for awhile. Eventually, you'll start getting preapprovals from the little guys likes of Credit One or Indigo. A few years ago, I was in the low 600s when I started getting preapprovals for Chase and Capital One, and that was even after paying off a few collections. Just keep it simply, make payments on time and you just may start seeing offers from Chase and Discover once your scores are higher. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 2 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, are you opted-in?
Message 3 of 24
luis999
Valued Member

@FinStar wrote:
OP, are you opted-in?

How do you opt-in?  I'm finding the same that when I do a pre-qual search, nothing comes up with anyone (Fico 747, AAoA 7 months, 3 accounts, highest CL $27k)...

Message 4 of 24
xaximus
Valued Contributor

https://www.optoutprescreen.com/

On the site there, you can opt-in or opt-out for Credit Card offers.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 24
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

I should be opted-in, but I filled out that site just in case.

I am not getting pre-qualified because of low scores and high utilization. 

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would say just stick with the Discover It for now and try to increase the limit, with a score like that I do not see any posible way of getting pre approved for anything unless you open a secure card with a bank or into the subprime credit cards (And this last option can be very expensive on the long way)

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a reference point, BoA, Chase, and Citi have a prequal checker on their sites as well.

That said, maybe join us in the Garden for a bit and build some history with Discover.

Message 8 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just as a reference point, BoA, Chase, and Citi have a prequal checker on their sites as well.

That said, maybe join us in the Garden for a bit and build some history with Discover.

Just for clarification, BoA's "Check for Customized Offers" is not a prequalification tool.  Try an input of "Fluffy Kitty" and see if they qualify for any "meowy" offers Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just for clarification, BoA's "Check for Customized Offers" is not a prequalification tool.  Try an input of "Fluffy Kitty" and see if they qualify for any "meowy" offers Smiley Very Happy

I can't argue with that one.  I actually checked BoA yesterday and got squat, meanwhile, I had an offer show up in the mail today...

I've seen consistent reports of people who got firm APRs on the prequal tool getting approved so maybe look out for ranges vs fixed ARPs?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.