Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to do..

tag
Corsair85
Established Member

Not sure what to do..

So, last year I decided to work on my credit I opened up a Cap One rebuilder and an Orchard Card both with $500 toy limits. Then I started getting rid of charge offs and collections that were showing up whether they were ongoing or with balances, about 10 of them, having been sold from the lender to the collector and what not. Everything is now paid off and shows zero balances on all by july of 2011.  Last Sept I added another Cap One, which is at $750 now. I applied for a Chase Freedom Saturday and got the 7-10 day message. Called recon today and they told me it was due to the past problems with charge offs and closed accounts, and that it'd take significant time to rebuild. Any advice guys? I've been playing around with these low limit cards for over a year now and I wanna get into the big leagues.

Starting Score: 638
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Not sure what to do..

your post threw me off im confused, first you state you got rid of collections and chargeoffs then you state everything shows zero balances. what is listed on your reports?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 2 of 10
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

What you do is be patient, although I know that's not what you want to hear.

Rebuilding takes time, not just a year - especially if negative things are still on your report (paid or otherwise).  It's about stamina!  

I started rebuilding in 08 (mostly just through watering down the negs because I wasn't having any luck getting rid of them) and I just got my first card with an initial limit in the four digits this spring.  I used a secured Orchard ($200) and a secured BofA ($300) for 12 months, then the BofA graduated and was CLI'd to $800.  I kept gardening for another 6 months and kept my expectations low and was approved for a HSBC Plat ($750 with no AF) after about 18 months of rebuilding which got a CLI last year to $950.

Then this spring (late March/early april) I got frisky and app'd to a number of places resulting in:
Victoria's Secret ($500)

Cap1 ($500 no AF - guaranteed increase after 6 months, although I only expect $250 or so)

Amex Zync NPSL

Discover More ($1000 no AF)

and my proudest card, a Chase SW card with a $3000 limit

(I was also decline for a Bill Me Later purchase of around $1600 and for a Citi card.)

Granted, I may have been able to get some of these sooner, but the VS card triggered everything else with an online pre-approval.  Since I (used to) purchase from them once a year around the same time I took the sudden pre-approval as a sign to step out of the garden after over 2 years and it turned out pretty well!  

Patience is key!  It's always quicker and easier to ruin something than it is to repair it Smiley Wink

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 3 of 10
Corsair85
Established Member

All of my old accts; charge offs and collections have been paid or settled. I have 3 builder credit cards with uti around 21%. An auto loan with zero missed payments(5 yrs).

Message 4 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

if you have charge offs and collections on your reports paid or not they will keep you from getting a prime card. maybe on charge off from like 2007 would be do able but several with collections will not cut the cake. if they are all paid your last resort would be to gw them. other than that you could look into a local cu to see if they are willing to work with you

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 5 of 10
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Corsair85 wrote:

So, last year I decided to work on my credit I opened up a Cap One rebuilder and an Orchard Card both with $500 toy limits. Then I started getting rid of charge offs and collections that were showing up whether they were ongoing or with balances, about 10 of them, having been sold from the lender to the collector and what not. Everything is now paid off and shows zero balances on all by july of 2011.  Last Sept I added another Cap One, which is at $750 now. I applied for a Chase Freedom Saturday and got the 7-10 day message. Called recon today and they told me it was due to the past problems with charge offs and closed accounts, and that it'd take significant time to rebuild. Any advice guys? I've been playing around with these low limit cards for over a year now and I wanna get into the big leagues.

You have done very well considering the CO's.    For me, opening a secured card with a large depos(big league size) helped get a larger limit card with Capital One.  

Message 6 of 10
Corsair85
Established Member

Any suggestions on how to go about good willing them?

Message 7 of 10
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

go to the rebuilding section of this forum do a search on the company that owns the collections and see if theres any success with gwing them. who is the co with?

Message 8 of 10
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

if you have charge offs and collections on your reports paid or not they will keep you from getting a prime card. maybe on charge off from like 2007 would be do able but several with collections will not cut the cake. if they are all paid your last resort would be to gw them. other than that you could look into a local cu to see if they are willing to work with you

+1
GW is a process. Most people say it takes persistance and getting to the right person. Some just won't remove it no matter what. You might want to post in the rebuildrer section and list the companies (CCs and/or CAs) that you paid, and get advice about how to GW them and/or the best dept., addresses, etc. to contact.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 10
Corsair85
Established Member

Thanks guys. Not exactly good news. Looks like ive got some more work to do.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.