Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now What? Need advice on next step

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now What? Need advice on next step

So after a recent kerfaffle with Chase (they required a copy of my SS card, I couldn't get one in time. Mine was lost) I decided to app for something else. Since my AAOA is 1yr 6Mo and my current cards are Credit One $300 and Household Bank $750 I didn't want to get too cocky so I applied for the Ebay Mastercard. I figured I like Ebay a whole lot and if denied I'd at least get the paypal credit, well, I got approved for $2500!!! My question now is: should I apply for something like a Capital One card and dump Credit One? I really hate the monthly fee and the $7.95 to pay online, or do I suck it up for another year or so until I can qualify for something better? I'm afraid the bigger lenders won't take me seriously as a current Credit One holder. Opinions?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now What? Need advice on next step

PS- I forgot to mention that my FICO's are mid-700's and I have 1 inq EX and 1 TU.
Message 2 of 7
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So after a recent kerfaffle with Chase (they required a copy of my SS card, I couldn't get one in time. Mine was lost) I decided to app for something else. Since my AAOA is 1yr 6Mo and my current cards are Credit One $300 and Household Bank $750 I didn't want to get too cocky so I applied for the Ebay Mastercard. I figured I like Ebay a whole lot and if denied I'd at least get the paypal credit, well, I got approved for $2500!!! My question now is: should I apply for something like a Capital One card and dump Credit One? I really hate the monthly fee and the $7.95 to pay online, or do I suck it up for another year or so until I can qualify for something better? I'm afraid the bigger lenders won't take me seriously as a current Credit One holder. Opinions?

If you have a bank account you can probably submit an online payment to Credit One through your bank for free. At least it worked with the vultures at First Premier and their equally digusting fee to pay online.

Congratulations on the Ebay mastercard. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 7
jefftca925
Established Contributor

If it was me I'd dump Credit One in a heartbeat.  I think the fees these vultures charge are criminal to say the least.  You've gotten a better card and it will grow with you.  And not drain you of your hard earned money.  The closed account should stay on your CR for another ten years and should help your AAoA for that long.  Just make sure it's PIF when closing so not to impact your utilization.  Good luck and CONGRATS!!

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 4 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
...: should I apply for something like a Capital One card and dump Credit One?...
 Yes

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Capital One and close Credit One.

Keep in mind your now in with GE, so any store cards you want, you will probably get decent limits too. Dillards, Walmart, Sams, Chevron, Gap, etc.

Message 6 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

With those kind of scores, you should also check into Alliant, Nationwide, and PenFed. You can qualify for PenFed by joining the American Red Cross or the National Military Family Association. (You don't have to be in the military.)

If you're interested in PenFed, app there first. They don't like seeing lotsa inqs. They pull Equifax.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.