Did you mean: 

Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Q4 **New Categories**

tag
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

Re: Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards Q4 **New Categories**

@5PercentIsTheFloor wrote:

Hi all, 

I just wanted to put out a PSA for any current or prospective Nusenda cardholders on here. 

Nusenda updated their Q4 categories today. 

NEW 5% Categories- 

- Restaurants 

- Retail Stores 

- Online Retail Purchases

For 2020, Nusenda Q4 was restaurants, hotels and airfare. 

Man, I wish I could get this card, but I am too lazy to do all the leg work to get it Smiley LOL

Potential Future Cards
Message 11 of 18
fliphusker
Contributor

I am never too lazy to earn easy money. 

I read about this card in 2017 and decided to take the 15 minute plunge to get it. Was very easy. As I live in Nebraska, I told them I may be moving to New Mexico -- it just never happened. 

I made a post about this card long ago and got trolled a bit due to it not having a welcome bonus. I planned then and still do use it a ton in the categories. So it is still a win-win card for me. 

If you hate passive income, this card is not for you. 

Message 12 of 18
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

First bump in the road...looking at some early dining spend, 4 instances so far for the month, something didn't code as restaurants. All 4 are regular spots I've charged to my Alt GO and Affinity in past months, all of which have coded as restaurants for those cards fine. 3 of the spots are independent eateries (1 coffee cafe, 1 sit down restaurant, and 1 to-go taqueria), and 1 was Shake Shack.

Since the individual charges don't have a 5% qualifying indicator, and the option to download transaction history as a csv spreadsheet doesn't include codes like US Bank, I don't see a way to tell. Not going to start doing claculations to figure out which charge it was, so whatever.

Anyone know which mcc's Nusenda includes as "restaurants'?

As an aside, all gas stations and education were flawless last quarter. My son's university tuition coded perfectly to max out the quarter.

Message 13 of 18
GatorCowboyLion
Regular Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly a Mom & Pop coffee cafe I go to every weekend codes as "Dining points" for Affinity but general spend for Navy FCU. Typically companies can be looked up via https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator-app/app/#/home/supplier-locator to see what MCC they will code as. You may have some luck, but unfortunately, my spot isn't listed. I suspect they may list as 5813 – Drinking Places or 5462 – Bakeries.

Message 14 of 18
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@PullingMeSoftly wrote:

First bump in the road...looking at some early dining spend, 4 instances so far for the month, something didn't code as restaurants. All 4 are regular spots I've charged to my Alt GO and Affinity in past months, all of which have coded as restaurants for those cards fine. 3 of the spots are independent eateries (1 coffee cafe, 1 sit down restaurant, and 1 to-go taqueria), and 1 was Shake Shack.

Update: All dining charges actually did code properly. Looks like I jumped the gun, the additional rewards just needed a couple more days to post. Can confirm, 6%.

Message 15 of 18
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I love my nusenda card.  I love having another 5% rotating card like Freedom and Disco-it to have less chances of dead or wasted overlap 5% quarters.  Many times Freedom and Disco have had the same or similar categories for a given quarter and nusenda offers different categories.  I can almost always get at least 3 quarters with 5% gas and dining between the 3 cards. 

It's been 3-4 years but I don't remember the application being hard at all.  I had to make a donation to some wildlife foundation to gain CU membership.  And I remember I had to apply over the phone I think.    

I remember the guy starts asking questions before you get to state why you're calling.  He asked where I am from, I said California, and he said "You must be calling for our Platinum Rewards card, no one calls from out of state except for the card".  lol!

Dum question guys.  I haven't really benefited from "Retail" this quarter because, well, umm, I don't know what that means!  lol.  What is "Retail"?  I imagine like a factory outlet center.  But is it, say, Dollar Tree, 99 Cent Store, Wal-Mart, etc.?  

https://www.nusenda.org/loans-credit-cards/credit-cards/credit-card-rewards-and-benefits

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 16 of 18
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I love my nusenda card.  I love having another 5% rotating card like Freedom and Disco-it to have less chances of dead or wasted overlap 5% quarters.  Many times Freedom and Disco have had the same or similar categories for a given quarter and nusenda offers different categories.  I can almost always get at least 3 quarters with 5% gas and dining between the 3 cards. 

It's been 3-4 years but I don't remember the application being hard at all.  I had to make a donation to some wildlife foundation to gain CU membership.  And I remember I had to apply over the phone I think.    

I remember the guy starts asking questions before you get to state why you're calling.  He asked where I am from, I said California, and he said "You must be calling for our Platinum Rewards card, no one calls from out of state except for the card".  lol!

Dum question guys.  I haven't really benefited from "Retail" this quarter because, well, umm, I don't know what that means!  lol.  What is "Retail"?  I imagine like a factory outlet center.  But is it, say, Dollar Tree, 99 Cent Store, Wal-Mart, etc.?  

Sadly the old New Mexico Wilderness Alliance backdoor has been closed for some time, that's great that you got in at the time.

Their interpretation of "retail" is pretty wide open and seems to include most merchants that are commonly known to have both brick-and-mortar and online stores. Online retail does not seem to be any online purchase like BoA observes, but rather the online-facing stores of major retailers. I don't think discount stores (Target, Walmart) are considered retail by their definition, but instead would be the larger department stores or chain mall stores, etc...Of course the only way to know for sure is to do some testing and check on your ScoreCard earnings and see what percentages you're getting.

Message 17 of 18
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Bummer about the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance.  The NMWA site still says membership makes you eligable for Nusenda.  

https://www.nmwild.org/nusenda-members/

What about La Montanita membership?  Does that still work?

https://lamontanita.coop/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Membership-Agreement.pdf

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.