cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCCU Duck and Beaver cards compromised. Keep an eye on your accounts....

tag
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: OCCU Duck and Beaver cards compromised. Keep an eye on your accounts....

Well its either review of all approved accounts recently prob to satisfy regulators or someone stole the database right out from their noses there in Atlanta.

Message 21 of 564
sagehet
Established Member

It doesn't have to be internal it could have been someone picking off cards as they were being issued.

Has anyone with an older card been effected?   The wording they are using sounds more like a clean sweep credit wise.  They're for some reason checking everyone with newer accounts.

Message 22 of 564
new_earth
Frequent Contributor

@sagehet wrote:

It doesn't have to be internal it could have been someone picking off cards as they were being issued.

Has anyone with an older card been effected?   The wording they are using sounds more like a clean sweep credit wise.  They're for some reason checking everyone with newer accounts.

I've had mine since July, a charge went through fine on the 22nd this month, just 4 days ago. Haven't tried since though.

Message 23 of 564
RnJ
Contributor

I would think if they were concerned with the influx of recent account openings, they would choose terms more carefully, such as "your account is currently being reviewed", instead of "possibly compromised" - the term "compromised" gives the impression it may truly be at risk.  True, many new accounts opened during the past 2 months during retailer breaches, but if cardholders never shopped at those stores, it makes more sense that it may be bank data-related.  Since this seems to have just occured this weekend, hopefully they will have answers during regular business hours.  Their facebook page isn't populated much, so may not be helpful there.

Message 24 of 564
sagehet
Established Member

If it were just a matter of a compromise they'll just tell you they were re-issuing the card and you'll have it in a few days.

I've never heard of a financial institution lock down a bunch of accounts and then not tell customers anything about the next step.  If it was a pure breach they'd be telling people new cards would soon be on the way.  Refusing all charges on some accounts is awfully suspicious particularly when many of them seem to be newly acquired.

Message 25 of 564
RnJ
Contributor

It's still the weekend though, so doubtful they are staffed to make notifications in whatever the case may be.

Message 26 of 564
sagehet
Established Member

True but I'm betting this is going to effect all new(er) accounts.

Something spooked them.  If it's so large they slammed the door on a ton of accounts the bosses are aware of the situation.

Is there anyone with a new card still working and on the flipside

Is there anyone with an old card that doesn't work?

Message 27 of 564
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Ya, same here, only had card in hand 5 days and I don't believe them. I pressed hard demanding answers got none then I told them "I don't play games and if you are too small of an operation to eat a few bogus charges should they occur you can put the card where the sun doesn't shine unless you release the account right now". They refused, the card is in the beaver/duck crapper, permanently. I also told them they will erase all references to self from my CR incl the app inquiry or they will hear from my lawyer. No I wasnt kidding about the lawyer I have a corp one on retainer at all times and he is the type who wound stuff own mom for a profit (the best one to have).. End of the OCCU story for me.

Just wondering what the legal basis would be.  Obviously the reports to the CRA were correct at the time, you had applied for the card.  And both sides can cancel at any time for any or no (non-prohibited) reason.  So what does your lawyer say?

Message 28 of 564
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im going to close both my beaver and duck card Im fairly certain. They gave me toy limits on both, and the only reason I applied for those cards were for the usually high limits they gave. This situation has been handled so unprofessionally. It really upsets me they couldn't have even told me beforehand. I had to wait until my card was declined to find out. Pathetic. I really wanted to support a small business but this is just bad.

Message 29 of 564
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Thankfully I got mine mostly for BT's much lower risk of using it at a comprissed store.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 30 of 564
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.