Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Observation about Chase mobile app credit offerings

tag
vic6string
Regular Contributor

Observation about Chase mobile app credit offerings

No question here, just figured I'd post something I just noticed as it may be useful info (or may lead to getting useful DPs). I just recently (a few weeks ago) opened a new Chase checking account. I have no Chase cards (haven't applied for any and get no pre-quals). For background, my ficos all hover around the high 600s (675-698) and I have a BK13 filed just under 5 years ago. When I first opened the account and checked the mobile app, I always got the same 3 cards showing (Southwest, United, and another branded card). None of them have banners or stars showing. I check pretty much daily and it never changed. My first direct deposit just hit, and now I am suddenly getting those 3 PLUS Bonvoy, Freedom, and CSP. Still no banners, still no stars, but they show nonetheless. For reference, I make well over 80k per year, so the direct deposit is decent (biweekly pay).

I am not a big believer in coincidence. I know it is possible that they just happened to change something that now shows more options, and it just happened to coincide with my first direct deposit hitting, but that is quite a coincidence. I find it much more likely that the deposit hitting somehow "upgraded" me (for lack of a better term). My plan is still to wait until the month after my BK filing turns 5 years old, (and even then, I am not expecting to get approved as the BK will still show on the report) so I am not going to test anything now. I just wanted to point this out to you all and see if anyone else has noticed anything like this. If it turns out that people tend to see their credit offerings change after their first direct deposit hits on new accounts (which is generally when banks feel safer that you are going to stay with them) it will be proof positive that having a relationship with Chase banking can actually affect your odds of Chase credit approvals, which we all know has been an ongoing debate forever.

13 REPLIES 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Observation about Chase mobile app credit offerings

Thanks for sharingSmiley Happy

Having money vs very little will always win out with ChaseSmiley Wink. That monster eats alotSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 14
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Verified income goes a long way!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 14
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

Verified income goes a long way!

yeah. I would think seeing (and holding) my paycheck is just a tad safer than taking my word for it when I type a number in a box.

Message 4 of 14
iced
Valued Contributor

I would agree with the posts that having any direct deposit does go some way with them trusting you, if for no other reason than they are now aware of a (for the time being) steady stream of income and presumed stable employment. That does go a lot further than 'take my word for it' does.

I would say the amount, however, is not a factor. Though it seems like a lot to some, $80k/year is tiny potatoes to a bank like JPMC.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, I don't like seeing these offers while I'm at 5/24! That said, I haven't seen a significant change to them since opening a Checking account. They're pretty much the same as before and after. 

However, I hope the monthy Direct Deposits help to prove my income is what I state is. And earn their trust for anew card app when 5/24 is no longer an issue.

Message 6 of 14
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Honestly, I don't like seeing these offers while I'm at 5/24! That said, I haven't seen a significant change to them since opening a Checking account. They're pretty much the same as before and after. 

However, I hope the monthy Direct Deposits help to prove my income is what I state is. And earn their trust for anew card app when 5/24 is no longer an issue.

Are your direct deposit already going in? Mine literally changed the day after my first direct deposit hit. Also, my direct deposit is actually labled "salary" (not all are, and people are using all sorts of basic ACH deposits just to get the sign up bonuses for new checking accounts). 

Message 7 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Chase doesn't care about relationships, just how much money you move through them. I had never gotten an offer in all the years I've had them, and am currently something like 11/24, but I was just recently pre-approved for the freedom unlimited as well as many of their other products. I went from 2 solicitations from them in a year to 3-4 a week. I believe the trigger was moving $30k through the account over a few months out of nowhere, $20k in one month. I even have offers now for private client.

Message 8 of 14
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Chase doesn't care about relationships, just how much money you move through them. 

"How much money you move through them" is a big part of the "relationship". Opening a checking account and keeping a couple hundred dollars in there with no movement isn't a relationship, its an aquaintance. If they see a decent check coming in regularly, and don't see you burning through the whole thing instantly, that's a relationship they can consider.

Message 9 of 14
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Chase doesn't care about relationships, just how much money you move through them. I had never gotten an offer in all the years I've had them, and am currently something like 11/24, but I was just recently pre-approved for the freedom unlimited as well as many of their other products. I went from 2 solicitations from them in a year to 3-4 a week. I believe the trigger was moving $30k through the account over a few months out of nowhere, $20k in one month. I even have offers now for private client.

Useful information! Thanks

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.