cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd. it says I have another credit card which I never applied for..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd. it says I have another credit card which I never applied for..

I think I have applied.. but I was probably diclined .. I never received any credit card from that company. It shows that I have $200 available credit. Next payment : 3/14/2011.

It's been like this for a while... I don't know if that's affecting my score, but you think I should call that comany or something and see what's up? I will try to cancel if that effect my score. or I might keep it.. I don't know if it's a good idea to have three credit card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Odd. it says I have another credit card which I never applied for..

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I have applied.. but I was probably diclined .. I never received any credit card from that company. It shows that I have $200 available credit. Next payment : 3/14/2011.

It's been like this for a while... I don't know if that's affecting my score, but you think I should call that comany or something and see what's up? I will try to cancel if that effect my score. or I might keep it.. I don't know if it's a good idea to have three credit card.

There is no problem with 3 credit cards, most have more.   Closing it or keeping it will not affect your score much.   

It is important to find out if it is truly open.   If it is, you need to get the statements, set up up online access (if you do that), and get the card.    Be sure the card has not been stolen or account compromised.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply! not sure if I can handle 3 cards because I work at UPS. However, I can manage to save $50 a week to pay my bills. So that's $200.

I am trying to keep one accont at zero balance and other at 9% balance.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You really, really do need to find out what that card is because there is potential that it can come back and cause you severe credit problems.

If it is ID theft, chances are sooner or later the person will stop paying and the account will appear as a negative on your credit reports.  It could take you a lot of time and aggrevation to get it fixed later on dwn the road.

Even if it is a card you applied for and forgot about, if it has an annual fee that eventually comes due and you don't know about it, they will eventually report nonpayment and it will become a 7-year negative on your credit report that maybe you cannot erase.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thanks. I will have to call the company and see if I can get a new credit card. I know that having 3 credit card is a lot but it will help me enhance my credits.

Message 5 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok thanks. I will have to call the company and see if I can get a new credit card. I know that having 3 credit card is a lot but it will help me enhance my credits.

When someone says they don't know if they applied for some credit, that scares the living daylight out of me. You mean it?

I will ask the credit card company to tell me the application details, if it was a paper thing, ask for a copy, if it was online, ask for IP details.

You have no choice but to know if you did apply or not. If you did not, you have your SSN compromised, which can cause you much bigger hardships than just a bad account.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

As I just posted in another thread:

Lively debate and different opinions are welcomed and encouraged but at the same time we need to remember to keep everything friendly, supportive, and respectful.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 9
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Hopefully you would know if you applied for a credit card. You either a.) fill out an application online, b.) fill out a paper application and mail it in, or c) call a representative. You would remember if you did any of these 3 items i would hope. If you didnt, then you probably have a case of ID theft.

You need to call the CCC immediately and figure out what is going on. Identity theft is a big deal if that is what has happened.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
vish1
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

As I just posted in another thread:

Lively debate and different opinions are welcomed and encouraged but at the same time we need to remember to keep everything friendly, supportive, and respectful.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

OOPS, I was probably too harsh in my post and will be careful going forward. I din't mean anything harsh though.

My sincerest apologies to the OP for the harsh language.

I still stay with my advice though.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.