Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd letter

tag
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Odd letter

So I requested a CLI from Navy Fed and they upped one card but not the other and the letter they sent says that I have reached the maximum exposure at 18k and 17.5k on my cards. Is Navy Fed tightening the belt or because I have kept a high balance on both cards for so long they don't want to give me more? 

For clarification on high balance....I have had 17k on each card since they upped me to 17.5k 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Odd letter

Carrying existing balances of $17k on each card? So you owe $34k to NFCU?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 11
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Carrying existing balances of $17k on each card? So you owe $34k to NFCU?

well down to 32k now but yes at one point...I did. 

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

i would think your utilization with them being over 90% is a fair reason as to why you have reached maximum exposure... navy may be tightening their belt considering the current economic climate, but your uti is definitely more of a no brainer as to the reason imho. 

Message 4 of 11
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

i would think your utilization with them being over 90% is a fair reason as to why you have reached maximum exposure... navy may be tightening their belt considering the current economic climate, but your uti is definitely more of a no brainer as to the reason imho. 

Yeah, I figured with the current economic times and with my utilization at the 90%+ mark for over a 2 year period probably didn't help my case and thankfully I am in a much better position now than I was even a year ago. I am slowly paying down balances that I had only been paying barely the minimum on and in time, paying them down below 30%. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, I figured with the current economic times and with my utilization at the 90%+ mark for over a 2 year period probably didn't help my case and thankfully I am in a much better position now than I was even a year ago. I am slowly paying down balances that I had only been paying barely the minimum on and in time, paying them down below 30%. 

Util doesn't seem to be the issue with this message....  

My utilization is 5% and I received this same message when they upped me from 15k to 17.5k.

This seems to be their max exposure based on your income, scores, credit profiles, internal score, etc.  

Message 6 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My utilization is 5% and I received this same message when they upped me from 15k to 17.5k.

This seems to be their max exposure based on your income, scores, credit profiles, internal score, etc.  

It is, but also note that the max exposure level can grow over time.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 11
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@1GaDawg85 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is, but also note that the max exposure level can grow over time.

I am sure it will grow as I get my UTIL back under control with them and should see more growth as my financial situation improves. I would be curious others have received this type of response from them before. 

Might be data point worth mentioning to others as they work to grow their relationship with NFCU. 

Message 8 of 11
RootDet
Established Contributor

I have received this data point many times. If I recall I got it at $20k, $30k, $50k, and again at $70k. Income during that time stayed relatively the same but handling credit was better and I began getting higher limits elsewhere.  AS indicated, your at the max they are willing to extend based on your credit profile and experience with the. As your internal scores go up, your limit will go up a well. Do note that CLI requests over $25k has always been a HP, and is a trend I noticed with others. 

Message 9 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Imo covid nor max limit has nothing to do with not getting increases in this situation. 32k out of 34k is way too much to be carrying with no overt sign of paying down or off. Navy doesnt mind balances, or even high balances  but 2 cards basicslly maxed out would be concerning even by their standards. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.