Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds for a Discover CLI

tag
sleephla541
Regular Contributor

Odds for a Discover CLI

So I was approved for a Discover More card in May 2012 primarily for a BT and had about a $1100 balance on this card in February.  I noticed that I got a message that Discover bumped my limit to $2250 from $2000 (which was what I started at).  I haven't initiated a manual CLI since I opened the card, but was wondering what my odds would be if I pressed the luv button since they automatically increased me $250.  I would have tried for much more had I know I could back then.  

What are thoughts on my chances of them increasing my limit since I haven't asked them yet?

TU: 752, EQ: 761, EX: 745
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Odds for a Discover CLI

when did you get the auto CLI? There's usually a minimum timeframe before you qualify for another CLI. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@enharu wrote:

when did you get the auto CLI? There's usually a minimum timeframe before you qualify for another CLI. 

+1

Which usually can vary from 4-6 months from the last CLI.  Otherwise, it will be a HP if patience is not on your side.

Message 3 of 11
L0RDAVENTAD0R
Frequent Contributor

I would call them & ask to speak to a credit analyst regarding a CLI to improve your odds. After getting the, "cannot process," screen online & getting denied by their automated phone system, an analyst was able to approve me.
Message 4 of 11
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

I called and asked about one the other day. She told me I should wait until my 6th statement(which will be May 17).  I have had the "luv button" for a couple of months but haven't used it yet. She said I would have a better chance at getting an increase if I waited the 6 months. I haven't had any sort of auto increase, and she actually told me that she hadn't heard of people getting auto increases.

I"m going to try the button sometime after the 17th and see what happens. I have 1700 now and would like to get it around 2500-3000.  I'm not sure how conservative they are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 5 of 11
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I tried and failed. A CSR told me they won't be able to get me an increase without a HP...I don't want a HP when they are gonna tell me the same thing...deny.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 6 of 11
sleephla541
Regular Contributor

I got the card in May 2012 for the balance transfer and they auto CLI'd me in February of this year by $250.  Since they already auto CLI'd me, I should probably wait 6 months from then before asking for a manual CLI.  

Thanks everyone!

TU: 752, EQ: 761, EX: 745
Message 7 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

I tried and failed. A CSR told me they won't be able to get me an increase without a HP...I don't want a HP when they are gonna tell me the same thing...deny.

Exactly how I feel!!! I don't wanna waste a HP with them!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@sleephla541 wrote:

I got the card in May 2012 for the balance transfer and they auto CLI'd me in February of this year by $250.  Since they already auto CLI'd me, I should probably wait 6 months from then before asking for a manual CLI.  

Thanks everyone!

This is correct, good lcuk to you!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Im still tempted to call and see of they'll increase mine even though I got an auto cli of $750 heh.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.