Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Bonvoy Brilliant updates?

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: Official Bonvoy Brilliant updates?

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

I don't know why all AMEX cards these days being premium ones including the new AMEX Marriott 650 card does 24 or whatever a month dining credit.  Just give it all up front like CSR travel credit.  I hate how Amex spaces out "perks" that increase AF's over time vs all at once.  Just my pet peeve with all their premium cards.  Charge a large AF up front and hope that people forget to use said credits as some cards have many.

Exactly. The obvious grab at "breakage" is highly annoying. AMEX's complicated credits are one reason why the Platinum card would never work for me and why I very well may close my Gold card.  Gold's credits seemed like they would work better for me (as well as enhanced dining/grocery earnings) but in-practice they weren't so useful. Plus they mixed things up and took away my airline fee credit. 😕.   

The Marriott Brilliant, meanwhile, has always made more financial sense to me than the core charge cards. The $300 Marriott property credit (used any time during year) was practical as well as the generous points for the annual free night. While the monthly $25 allocation for dining is not as preferred to a single annual $300 use-any-time credit, it appears it will apply to ANY restaurant charges. I like that aspect of the monthly credit. That works for me, unlike the ridiculous $10 monthly credit on AMEX GOLD at only Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Cheesecake Factory, Shake Shack for dining out. (I used mine mostly for Grub Hub food pickup but disliked trying to manage it. And yes it sometimes went to waste.)

For me, this still looks like a keeper and will likely be my primary AMEX card.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 11 of 26
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Came across this photo on social media: (snip)

And like @SPChaser , I noticed the design change in the app but wasn't savy enough to connect the dots.

While we aren't supposed to diverge into card appearances outside of Smorgasbord, I'll simply note that they did change the design along with the makeover. IMO, it has an appealing and clean look. I suppose this was in-part to separate Brilliant from the new Chase Bountiful and AMEX Bevy variants in the mid-scale $250 AF slot. 

First is the old.  Second is the new.

635CB20F-761D-48A4-84F0-96F5D94E87A7.jpeg    8F149F41-D9F4-457A-914E-423F2E43EFD7.jpeg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 26
phantasm
New Contributor

I contacted Amex about the $25 credit. It's only valid for dine in or carry out purchases. GC or account reloads will not qualify for $25 reimbursement. Also you have to wait until after your 12mo is up or you may forfeit some of your benefits (Amex was a bit vague here). 

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 836
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 26
NRB525
Super Contributor

Interesting. The AF on Brilliant is scary, but the dining credit cuts that. The extra value on the free night is interesting. 
It already gave me the 25 nights stay credit and Platinum Elite status. We are going to a Fairfield Inn so that Platinum Elite is going to be nice. /s

I said earlier I'd give the Bonvoy Brilliant another year, it's going to be a fascinating year indeed Smiley Happy

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 14 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Has anyone with the $95 (personal Bonvoy Amex) card gotten an upgrade offer in the last year or so?

I might upgrade if I can get 100k-150k points for doing so.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 26
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

I just did a $25 Starbucks reload and will update if it does/doesn't work. I'm not convinced it won't based on what one rep said. On all the other dining credits they've done for Covid on the cobrands in the past few years it worked fine. Will be pretty annoying if they make it that hard to use.

Message 16 of 26
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

......[snip]  but it's still a great value card IMO.  Much more practical for me than an AMEX Platinum card. 

I certainly agree with you.   For *me* the AMEX Platinum makes no sense.  This card can make sense, but they don't make it easy with the monthly restaurant drama and high AF.     I have to put some value on the Bonvoy Elite Platinum tier to make the math work.   Truth is, with the new AF, I wouldn't renew if it wasn't for the Elite Platinum perk.

I wish Bonvoy points were worth more so I could at least be tempted to use this card more outsid of Bonvoy stays.   Truth is, even when staying at Bonvoy properties, I'm not sure that it wouldn't be wiser to swipe a few of my other cards.   

My renewal is February, I'll do it.

||
Message 17 of 26
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Interesting. The AF on Brilliant is scary, but the dining credit cuts that. The extra value on the free night is interesting. 
It already gave me the 25 nights stay credit and Platinum Elite status. We are going to a Fairfield Inn so that Platinum Elite is going to be nice. /s

I said earlier I'd give the Bonvoy Brilliant another year, it's going to be a fascinating year indeed Smiley Happy

I got an Executive Suite upgrade at one last year as a Gold.

They may have been out of the room type I had booked, though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 18 of 26
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@phantasm wrote:

I contacted Amex about the $25 credit. It's only valid for dine in or carry out purchases. GC or account reloads will not qualify for $25 reimbursement. Also you have to wait until after your 12mo is up or you may forfeit some of your benefits (Amex was a bit vague here). 

CSR agents, while helpful  and well-meaning, are not always consistent with what happens in real life.   Card blogs have said otherwise. to what the CSR told you.

*My $300/year Bonvoy (hotel) credit was earned and credited many months ago.

**On Sept22 I loaded $25 on my Starbucks app.   On Sept24 I was credited $25

starbucksCredit.png

I plan on repeating Oct, Nov, Dec   ......and likely indefinitely.

||
Message 19 of 26
phantasm
New Contributor

Just tried this with a reload on Chick-fil-a. Will see if I get a credit. Crossing fingers the CSR was wrong. 

Starting Score: 800
Current Score: 836
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.