Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Bonvoy Brilliant updates?

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Official Bonvoy Brilliant updates?

Came across this photo on social media:E93F9A81-B178-4F03-9047-6921A191E286.jpeg

And later found this in the terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/supplementary/terms/marriott-...

So I guess these are the official new terms now? Gonna probably see that AF go up real fast

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
SPChaser
Established Contributor

Re: Official Bonvoy Brilliant updates?

Saw this too in my Amex app that Marroitt card design changed. I was going to post this in a separate thread, but since you posted this, I'd like to add, this is the last day those currently having the Brillant can use the $300 travel credit per Doctor of Credit site - https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-changes-marriott-bonvoy-brilliant-300-credit-replace...

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 2 of 26
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Just looked at the Bonvoy Bevy and it doesnt make sense that one has a $250 AF but has better multipliers than the Brilliant. The Bevy can beat out the Gold card.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 26
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Came across this photo on social media: (snip)

And later found this in the terms: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card-application/apply/supplementary/terms/marriott-...

So I guess these are the official new terms now? Gonna probably see that AF go up real fast

Interesting and thanks for posting.   Well, the Bonvoy Platinum is welcome news to me, (assuming Marriott doesn't dumb that down).  I had committed to keep this card another year, this made it easier.   If the AF goes up I'll again re-evaluate.

And like @SPChaser , I noticed the design change in the app but wasn't savy enough to connect the dots.

Thanks @mkhan1093  again for the info of what's coming.

BTW, I decided to test the double-dip on existing card (out of curiosity) ...loaded $25 on Starbuck's app this morning.   supposedly existing card holders can double-dip on the monthly dining credit OCT NOV DEC  ...but I figured little cost in trying late Sept.

||
Message 4 of 26
MachoHombre
Regular Contributor

Per the AMEX website ....YEP the AF is going up ...substantially!   Yikes!

Note the new Annual FeeNote the new Annual Fee

||
Message 5 of 26
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Mdowning30 wrote:

Just looked at the Bonvoy Bevy and it doesnt make sense that one has a $250 AF but has better multipliers than the Brilliant. The Bevy can beat out the Gold card.

I don't peg a Marriott point = 1 AMEX MR. More like about 1 Marriott = .4 MR. So the AMEX Gold's 4x > Marriott Bevy 4x by quite a bit. Note that AMEX runs transfer bonuses to Marriott every so often where the transfer ratio > 1:1... so how can you rate a Marriot point as equal when a Membership Rewards point converts into 1.2 Marriott during a transfer bonus, plus MR goes into airlines at 1:1 when Marriott goes to airlines at 60k:25k?

Also, you need to spend $15k on the Bevy to get a 50k FNC. No annual certificate for renewal. That hurts the value proposition IMO.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 6 of 26
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@MachoHombre wrote:

Per the AMEX website ....YEP the AF is going up ...substantially!   Yikes!

Note the new Annual FeeNote the new Annual Fee

Apparently it goes up in any renewal after January 1st.

(cheers that MY renewal is in December)

I will probably renew this December but the AF is too rich for my blood come December 2023...

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 26
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Thanks for this info @mkhan1093. I was a Gold Elite. I've been waiting on some updated stays so I logged into the app this morning. I noticed that I was bumped to Platinum Elite but didn't know why! 🤔.  Nice but unexpected benefit. The new AF is a shock Smiley Surprised  but it's still a great value card IMO.  Much more practical for me than an AMEX Platinum card. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 26
GoTarHeels
Valued Member

I've been waiting for this update! $650 is what everyone was expecting. Now to figure out which to keep between the Platinum and the Brilliant. Changing to a restaurant credit, along with the fee increase makes this a more difficult decision for me.

Message 9 of 26
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why all AMEX cards these days being premium ones including the new AMEX Marriott 650 card does $25 or whatever a month dining credit.  Just give it all up front like CSR travel credit.  I hate how Amex spaces out "perks" that increase AF's over time vs all at once.  Just my pet peeve with all their premium cards.  Charge a large AF up front and hope that people forget to use said credits as some cards have many.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.