Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Me Oh My. BoA AA

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Oh Me Oh My. BoA AA

Sooo. Tried to use my BOA CashRewards at Circle K yesterday, and It was declined. Didn’t think too much about it, since it has a 0 balance - thought maybe the chip was acting up again (just had them replace the card due to a chip issue). And there hasn’t been any purchase notifications, so knew it wasn’t fraud or anything. Paid with another card and was on my way.
Got a AA letter from BoA in the mail. Apparently they closed my account 😡 Reasons given were inquiries and other outstanding balances ( 8k on a DCU loan for my small travel trailer, and $2400 on a 0% card showing 20% util) WTH? My total until is about 3% on CC, and then my car loan and the DCU loan. Nothing horrible. It was probably more likely the last few new accts that just hit my reports that they didn’t like (Banco de Brasil,Commerce, and 5/3). The $5500 CL is a drop in the bucket, no biggie... really don’t care about losing the CL (never ever thought that was possible) they were one of my oldest rebuild cards though, starting out as a 99/500 in May 2016, unsecured in 10/16, got a few CLI and it had been at 5500 since this past Aug. No question that the AA was deserved, can’t deny that there are a LOT of inq and new accts... Need to garden now anyway, looking at buying a house in June, so there’s no house but to garden!

PS. Eye hate my iPhone at the moment, since apparently eye cannot type the letter eye!
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Oh Me Oh My. BoA AA

I wish they would send an email, text or even a phone call when lenders do that. A little courtesy would be nice at the very least.

Message 2 of 13
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

I'm sorry, that's so rude! What if that was the only card you had on you? Ugh. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing new, BoA is a jealous girlfriend.

Excessive credit seeking is enough for them to break up with a person.  

I say good riddance to them.

Message 4 of 13
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

So sorry to hear that! At least you were at the pumps, and alone to where no-one saw the decline! What if you had been out to eat with family or friends, and it was declined then? I would have hit the roof!
Message 5 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous those isolated examples are 1.5 to 2 years old; it's certainly not the norm with them.  In the past 2 years, I've opened 17 new cards (3 with BoA), refinanced a mortgage, refinanced a car, refinanced student loans (twice), and taken out two loans.  As recently as September they upped me to $75k of exposure (and another $70k as an AU).  Lots of others here with a ton of new accounts as well without AA from BoA, so this is certainly an exception.

@fltireguy I'm sorry that this happened to you. A lot of decisions are certainly very profile-specific. Maybe a case of too much too soon? You've made tremendous progress in 2 years!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happens often enough for folks to at least note it and be aware of when it happens to others.  Pulled just these up in about 2 minutes of looking on just this forum.

1. 9/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BoA-closed-my-account/m-p/5056613#M1478604
  2. 9/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Boa-CC-closed/m-p/5053890#M543119
  3. 8/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Bank-of-America-just-closed-my-oldest-acc...
  4. 4/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Bank-of-America-just-closed-63K-of-my-credit-cards/m-p/...
  5. 3/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/BOA-CLOSED-MY-CARD-Really/m-p/4897336#M1429953
  6. 1/2017 -- http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Bank-of-America-closing-my-Credit-Card-Account/m-p/4853...

It's all over the place of course, but I've definitely noted it myself and have kept a distance from BoA during my rebuild because who knows what a bank may do if an old baddie pops back up.  I'm also not a fan of BoA personally so they were never on a "wish/want" list for me!

Message 7 of 13
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

K - it was definitely too much too soon. Can’t say that they are solely to blame.. LOL. Just a minor pebble in the road anyway... id be much more upset if it was a $15-20k card
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 8 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous I'm not trying to argue with you, but 3 of those were closed because the account had a 0 balance and no activity for 6 or 9 months - that can happen with most lenders. Two were flagged for fraud (1 was completely reinstated, the other had 90% util and was doing things like $45k payments on balance transfers) and the other one reading through seems to have also likely been for inactivity (OP disappeared, but they closed 1 of 2 accounts and the one that was closed had been used a while before to transfer credit line to the one that was still open). One of the earlier examples had all of their accounts shut down and it seems to have been due to a credit repair agency gone awry (and OP had a $500 credit line with Preferred Honors, which in itself is odd).

Certainly seems to be more of an exception and I don't think there's any reason to believe this is pandemic with BoA.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened.  

Do you have checking and savings accounts with Bank of America?  Was this your only card with them?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.