Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh chit

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh chit

So I shouldn't close any other accounts?
The thing is my Chase Freedom is almost maxxed out. Should I close them to avoid extra aa?! My Amex Delta Gold hasn't reported yet, but it will get backdated. I guess I need to cut some lines. Heh
It really does suck that creditors are causing us to play this game. I'm a little irritated. I have a decent income, and I pay my bills!!!!! Dang! I even started paying my student loans that aren't even due yet!
I'm closer to $170k in credit than I thought bah.

Yeah, that was my whole thing with GE default4. I suppose you are right; I have gotten higher limits. Lol thanks everyone :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 31 of 64
toppers555
Established Contributor

popcorn.

I don't think it unreasonable at all for creditor to be concern when you have  100% or more of revolving credit available compared to your income, regardless og payment history.  I am pretty much at point where I am closing down account I see as "useless". I am petty sure all my GE accounts will be getting the axe  next year except Amazon,and Paypal.. May keep my Men's Warehouse.

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 32 of 64
Captain4Ever
Established Member

Not sure how much income you have stated while applying for the card? Creditors may decide your income is not enough to justify such amount of credits, hence card closure.

Having too much credits won't alone let you to top of the line, your account management will : history, payment, ages...

Message 33 of 64
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think it's cause for concern, but I monitor my own credit reports prob more often than my creditors and do a good job of managing my credit..or so I thought lol
How could Citi be so concerned when they are $5000 of almost $170k of credit. I decided to not bother with reopening this account. I only wanted it for the BT offer which I took advantage of. Citi really has made it to my blacklist.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 34 of 64
enharu
Super Contributor

@young

it really depends on what your priorities and preferences are.

If high CLs is your top priority, stick with whatever you have, since GE is good at that. In my personal opinion GE cards are not as attractive because of the high APR and almost non-existent, or just not-as-good, rewards structure on most of their cards. The only thing that makes me think it's worthwhile is the 0% APR financing. However, that's just me. GE is good for high CL so if that's what you're going for, you're on track.

Are most of your GE cards network branded? Certain lenders do not factor, or just do not emphasize as much on store cards, or just non-network branded cards, into their internal calculations. So their calculation of your utilization ratio and account history may be very different from what it would be if you included all your tradelines. Back in March, when I had to call Barclays they specifically mention that 1 out of my 2 tradelines was in dispute (Wells Fargo). None of my other new accounts were reporting yet, and the analyst seemed to ignore my Bloomingdales and Macys account. 

Also another important thing to note is that while the percentage matters, banks do look at the dollar amount of debt you're in as well. It does rub them off the wrong way if the dollar amount of debt exceeds what they're comfortable with for that income level. If your freedom is maxed out, try to minimize any balance on remaining cards. Lenders are not comfortable with several accounts reporting relatively high balances on top of a maxed out card.

Anyhow, if you don't care much bout Citi, don't worry about it. Citi has good offerings in my opinion and can be generous with the CLs as well, but if they do not suit you then there's no point forcing it either. Nothing much to worry about either. 1 account closed by lender will not affect anything in most scenarios.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 35 of 64
john398
Senior Contributor

I would not close Chase Freedom, its a good card with good rewards

Do you use your Lowes much?

Message 36 of 64
sandman2435
Established Contributor

Yep.Thats why I closed out all my GE Backed cards as They really was not doing any thing for me..I had about 75K in unused credit with them..I have one more to close which Im kinda on the frence about...Care credit..which can come in handy if I need to go to the dentist and use the 0% offer

Message 37 of 64
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@young

You already know how I feel about your line up of cc's. that being said, if you were thinking about shedding some dead weight here are my suggestions:

1. JCP-
2. SmileGen
3. Orchard Gold
4. Dillard's
5. Travelocity Amex

I think you use or like the ANF, Express and Ban Rep Visa.

Message 38 of 64
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Damn this has me worried. I make 47k a year and im at 100k+ total CL. I just turned 22 too.....

I do keep my UTL at 1% and sometimes 2% if i feel brave lol
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 39 of 64
mcf
Contributor

just tell them i could use some of that extra credit!! lol. so they basically in order to give you more than 5000 in citi credit, want you to lower your overall credit to 50-75k? Thats a little strange...

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.