Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh no! Barclay's CLD

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh no! Barclay's CLD

I mean cld'ing, not closure!!!! Lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 31 of 57
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

But see, shouldn't a creditor be taking preventative measures to ensure you don't ever reach the point of not paying bills? Or at least limit their exposure to you when that happens?

At the end of the day, this is how it works. A credit score only knows what happened in the past, so additional monitoring outside of scores (balances, payments, inquiries, new accounts) is needed to give a full picture of a credit account. Past performance is indicative of future performance, but there is certainly not 100% correlation. The thing is that your ability to pay this debt can change in an instant. So moving debt around and carrying balances might show that you don't have the same ability you did in the past.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 32 of 57
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

This is an interesting thread.

I tend to think that some of Barclay's behavior is a result of being (originally) from the UK. Credit in Europe is much more conservative from what I've read.

And my gut tells me that there is always more to the story....
Message 33 of 57
enharu
Super Contributor

Ihcole, that's my impression as well. Credit is much more conservative in a lot of countries compared to the states. Many countries have laws on the maximum CL one can have relative to their own personal income as well.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 34 of 57
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I mean cld'ing, not closure!!!! Lol

Yes, that was a close one youngandcreditwrthy!  Well, glad the outcome was positive and Barclays was able to reinstate your full CL.   I can't recall, were you carrying a balance when the CLD happened?  I know I'm definitely going to keep an eye to see if anything happens in the next 6-9 months with mine.  I know others are also checking too... Ron1... Enharu...lol.

Message 35 of 57
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 36 of 57
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
ESP enharu! Smiley LOL

LOL... well, yes we're just jittery... I won't know for a while though.

Message 37 of 57
enharu
Super Contributor

I'm already prepared for a CLD. I just hope they don't close my account so I can at least redeem my rewards :/
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 38 of 57
CS800
Super Contributor

Havent used my card in over 7 months. I will be using it tomorrow for sure. Don't want to lose my CL Smiley Sad

Message 39 of 57
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

When it comes to Barclays, here's my view.  They're *not* Amex or Chase; heck, they're not even Citi.  At this point, once pass the 6 month clawback signing bonus threshold, just close their accounts if institute any AA.

At this point, if I even so much as see their number on my caller id, I'm just going to start closing their accounts and call it "self defense."  Smiley Wink

Be nice, they have had a very hard year:  Chairman's statement....

Barclays experienced an extremely difficult 2012. In the wake of the announcement of the penalties relating to the industry-wide investigation into the setting of interbank offered rates, Marcus Agius chose to resign as Chairman and Bob Diamond subsequently resigned as CEO.

The Board moved swiftly to fill both positions. My appointment as Chairman was announced in early August and the appointment of Antony Jenkins as CEO was made at the end of that month.

The announcement of the penalties in respect of LIBOR and EURIBOR rates was in addition to the provisions made in respect of the mis-selling of PPI to consumers and interest rate hedging products to business customers, both of which were increased at the end of the year. Stakeholders’ trust in Barclays and the banking sector generally has been severely damaged by these events. We recognise that we must rebuild that trust and are determined to win it back through demonstrating real and fundamental change in our culture, especially the way we operate. We must demonstrate that going forward we are truly serving all our stakeholders, particularly our customers and clients, the communities in which we operate and society as a whole.

and today,a $453M fine was upheld on appeal and has to be paid within 30 days (Barclays is appealing). 

So, if they do AA, don't take it personally, they are just very nervous....

Message 40 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.