Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, the shame - Walmart Denied

tag
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Oh, the shame - Walmart Denied

The people of wal~mart can be strange to say the least.  They probably denied you because you have too much available credit or something bogus like that. 

Let us know when you get their letter, I'll be interested to see their reasoning....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 11 of 21
formy3kids

Hey Jdogi,

Just read your second post, it sounds like you were approved but answered the fast data question wrong.The questions are pulled from your credit report or from public record and sometimes the answers are inaccurate call back and ask if that were the case. Next time go into the store because they require your id.

Message 12 of 21
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@formy3kids wrote:

Hey Jdogi,

Just read your second post, it sounds like you were approved but answered the fast data question wrong.The questions are pulled from your credit report or from public record and sometimes the answers are inaccurate call back and ask if that were the case. Next time go into the store because they require your id.

+1

There was another member here last month or thereabouts with a ridiculously gold-plated credit report and score who was denied repeatedly online; however, going into the store in person, and was an easy approval.  

Walmart cards aren't made for higher-end FICO people, and they're well aware of it; as a result, anyone in your strata is automatically suspect for possible identity fraud and other shenannigans, since the only reason to apply for the card really is the TU08 FICO in your case.... and they probably don't consider that to be a good enough reason for people with high scores already to do that Smiley Wink

        
Message 13 of 21
jdogi
Contributor

Thanks Revelate,

I think I found the thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Walmart/td-p/1129223

I wish I had found it before the app.

I called back today and couldn't get beyond the first CSR.  She told me that there was nobody else to talk to.  Nobody else that could help.  She said I have to wait until I receive the explanation letter.

Message 14 of 21
jdogi
Contributor

Got their denial "reason" letter yesterday.  It's clear that they screwed something up in handling the app.  I'm sure if I call I could get it worked out, but I think I'm just going to pass.  From what I'm seeing, it looks like I would be hard pressed to get anything over ~$3500.  I think I'll just take the TU inquiry hit and move on.  I don't want to take the new account hit for that.  While the TU 08 scores would be nice, I think I'll pass.

Judging by the letter, I would guess that, rather than fixing my app for the identity verification, the CSR actually submitted a duplicate app.  The letter said something like too soon since last app.  Also, the letter indicated that they did NOT pull my CR.  However, I can see the INQ on my TU report, so it seems that I ended up with two separate apps in their system.

I'm really looking for something with a limit around $8k and I don't think this card is it.  Also, though I consider it unlikely, I am terrified of ending up with a WalMart store card that I have no use for.

Message 15 of 21
ferrari
Regular Contributor

I thought Walmart was TU04?!

Message 16 of 21
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@ferrari wrote:

I thought Walmart was TU04?!

Walmart is TU 08 FICO. Smiley Happy

myfico is TU 98 FICO.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 17 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

Got their denial "reason" letter yesterday.  It's clear that they screwed something up in handling the app.  I'm sure if I call I could get it worked out, but I think I'm just going to pass.  From what I'm seeing, it looks like I would be hard pressed to get anything over ~$3500.  I think I'll just take the TU inquiry hit and move on.  I don't want to take the new account hit for that.  While the TU 08 scores would be nice, I think I'll pass.

Judging by the letter, I would guess that, rather than fixing my app for the identity verification, the CSR actually submitted a duplicate app.  The letter said something like too soon since last app.  Also, the letter indicated that they did NOT pull my CR.  However, I can see the INQ on my TU report, so it seems that I ended up with two separate apps in their system.

I'm really looking for something with a limit around $8k and I don't think this card is it.  Also, though I consider it unlikely, I am terrified of ending up with a WalMart store card that I have no use for.

You took the INQ, why not recon it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 18 of 21
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@jdogi wrote:

You took the INQ, why not recon it?

^^^^^This.  Might as well get something for your 2 year wait.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 19 of 21
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@jdogi wrote:

Wow, what the heck just happened?.  In my mind, there really wasn't any question.  I would be approved for the Walmart Discover.  I was just wondering what my CL was going to be.  If it wasn't $3000+, I probably would have just eaten the INQ and not activated, or tried to recon higher limit before agreeing.  Though I really wanted the monthly TU Fico scores. 

Over the past 6 months, I was approved for Amex Zync (Aug, NPSL), Citi Forward ($6500, Sept), Amex BCP (Oct, $6k - CLI to $10k 2 weeks ago) .  My TU report, which GE/Walmart pulled, has not a single blemish, Fico 751 (2/9), AAoA 5 years, util 21%.  3 INQ in last year (2 are mortgage - should count as 1).

Since both of the Amex cards were dated to the 90s, the Citi is my only "new" CC.  It's my only account less than 1 yr old.

Imagine my surprise when she said "declined".  Really?  What am I missing here?  Not even a crappy Walmart store card?

I can't wait to see the reasons they give me.  Depending on the reasons, I'll might recon, or maybe I'll just fire GE, I don't have any use for those other accounts.

So, what's the story?  Has my ego gotten too big for my credit score?  Should I not be shocked?

My TU FICO that Walmart / GE saw was 610 that they told me. My FICO is 697 now three mouths later.

Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.