Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, Barclay is weird

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, Barclay is weird

My primary reason for the call was to see about APR reduction (no CLI) and was told the 17.24% was the best they can do right now (understandable. My TU with Barclay now is only 695 so I don't care much)

Then I asked if I could get the chip kind (most places I use it allows swiping but you never know. I prefer to use chip when I can) and she asked some ODD security questions. Yes, I've seen things they ask on the forums, but I asked if they were public data. She said yes. I wouldn't imagine the street I grew up on (never had credit) would be on file. Then she made it clear it was incorrect. Then she asked the town of my first job. Ok.... I answered truthfully (and informs her that it isn't on any of my CRs) and again.. Wrong
She asked the city my mom was born. Who the hell knows that? How about ask reasonable personal data questions like (what was they year make and model of the vehicle you financed in 2012) or whatever. Then she says "well I spoke to our security department and you have to just wait for your eligibility"

So I have to be "eligible" for a chip card (which should be standard practice at this point)

I was nervous they'd freeze my account and make me send in verification (that would have pissed me off)

Oh well

/rant.
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Re: Ok, Barclay is weird

This is why unless absolutely necessary, it's just a bad idea to call your cc company and stand in the spotlight, you never know when the call takes an odd or darker turn lol.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Security questions for a chip card? Yes. It should have automatically been sent upon request. But, a lot of banks are slow to role them out. That's why the US is behind on a lot of stuff. But, the crazy questions they asked you for security are standard practice now, unfortunately.

When opening an account elsewhere, they asked me about questions about my sister in law who lives in California. I live in PA. So I couldn't just knock on her door and say, can you answer this question for me? Luckily, I answered the question right.

I waiting for them to ask me when my first kiss was? 😃
Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idc about standing in a "spotlight". I wasn't wanting a CLI (kind of pointless for a SM card) and they SP my TU monthly and EX every quarter. If something spooked them it would have triggered AA by now.
Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

fwiw, i got tired of waiting on them to send out the new emv chip for my sallie mae. this was last yr around sept iirc. so i did the "request replacement card" under 'services'. 

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm. Groovy idea. I knew I liked you.
Message 6 of 38
Bone35
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My primary reason for the call was to see about APR reduction (no CLI) and was told the 17.24% was the best they can do right now (understandable. My TU with Barclay now is only 695 so I don't care much)

Then I asked if I could get the chip kind (most places I use it allows swiping but you never know. I prefer to use chip when I can) and she asked some ODD security questions. Yes, I've seen things they ask on the forums, but I asked if they were public data. She said yes. I wouldn't imagine the street I grew up on (never had credit) would be on file. Then she made it clear it was incorrect. Then she asked the town of my first job. Ok.... I answered truthfully (and informs her that it isn't on any of my CRs) and again.. Wrong
She asked the city my mom was born. Who the hell knows that? How about ask reasonable personal data questions like (what was they year make and model of the vehicle you financed in 2012) or whatever. Then she says "well I spoke to our security department and you have to just wait for your eligibility"

So I have to be "eligible" for a chip card (which should be standard practice at this point)

I was nervous they'd freeze my account and make me send in verification (that would have pissed me off)

Oh well

/rant.

LOL..couldnt agree more with Barclay's being weird...I had a similar situation when I went online to set up my new Arrival + a while back. On the home screen there was a link asking me  to set up chip and pin on my card..I said..OK why not. as soon as I did BAM it was like I was being interrogated with the most bizzare questions a CC company had ever asked, like....what was I wearing on the 23rd of may in 1992, What was the name of the chef who cooked your steak last year at that restaurant.. Smiley Happy J/K I dont remember exactly but I sure do remember feeling like whoooa..... really? 

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh well

/rant.

Barclay does public information searches as well as credit checks, so anything publically reported and obtainable via background check companies is fair game. If the information they pull on you is incorrect, you have the right to find out which public records search company provided that information and correct the info with them.

They asked me where my social security number was issued and what I had a license in, among other things. Although in my experience, applying for a bank account with Lake Michigan Credit Union had more challenging identity confirmation questions, since the correct answer to a couple of them was "none of the above"

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tangentially related: I wonder if there's any way to get something on my credit reports so that they don't ask me for info on my ex-husband whom I haven't seen in about 25 years. At some point over the past year some CC verification asked me where he lived or has lived or something. I said I have zero idea, I heard he moved from CA to WA at some point but it's been over 20 years since I've had any contact with him. Whatever it was for, I still passed, but GEEZ! 

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's public data as I deal with lexis nexis almost daily but they don't use them. And most people's "street they grew up on" isn't in public data
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.