cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, what's up with Amex's credit cards and CLs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, what's up with Amex's credit cards and CLs?

I have an Amex Gold Premier card where I charge anywhere between 6-8k a month. I also have a blue cash preffered card which is at my initial limit of $1k. I have attempted soft pull CLIs several times only to be declined. The blue cash is about 14 months and gold is 9 months. Has anyone else had this experience in general? I know there are details I have left out but just curious. It's just frustrating to use my blue cash card throughout the months having to pay it off several times a month. I don't get it. :/

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Ok, what's up with Amex's credit cards and CLs?

Without knowing your income, your credit score, the length of your credit history, and whether or not you have any baddies in your credit file, it would be hard to answer.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy - You're right! Income is 100k++, credit scores are 652 TU, 707 EF, 668 EX. Collections: $299 from ERC from 2012. 

I think I have cap1 card report >30 from 9 years (still open) and also a credit one card account reporting >90 from 5 years ago (closed --- HMM experian says status 'negative' but it's been paid for a while). My "average age" is 1 year and 8 months Smiley Sad according to CreditKarma. I opened a few cards and refianced in last few months, but still, well, hmmm... I think I'm about 8% utilization.   

Message 3 of 19
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

From what I have seen a 1k limit can be hard to get rid of. It has taken a couple years for some people to get cli's .

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 4 of 19
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

CLIs are not guaranteed. While your income may very well support an increase, the adverse items in your credit profile may be indicative of risk.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 5 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

its most likely your experian score as kinda borderline and no mention of DTI, etc..  The baddies most likely arent doing it to you as i have way worse and multiple 20-30k CL's with Amex..

edit: see the DTI ratio.. Something they don't like about your profile.. Why is your Experian so low with only those few late payments?  That shouldn't be hurting your Experian near that much?  Any BK or anything else?  You should be well into the 700's with the AAoA and your DTI even with a few late payments.. Mine are all 6.5 years old now but I have 120+ lates on a few things and paid CO's as well.  Scores are all in the 700+ granted my oldest account is > 25 years and AAoA is a bit longer than yours and have some other big CL's as well that could play a role shrug.

Message 6 of 19
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Your EX score is the one that matters to Amex. Is that a FICO score ? If it is, it’s on the lower end for Amex.

680 seems to be the magic number for getting CLI at Amex. Very hard to get them under 680. But once you cross 680, it’s easier. (Based on data points I’ve seen)

What were the reasons for denial ?

Charge cards normally give you a better internal spending limit since they must be paid in full it’s considered less risk.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 7 of 19
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Is the collection $299 from ERC from 2012 a paid or unpaid collection?
Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 8 of 19
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

You can only request a cli every six months on your BCP.  You could find out when you're eligible again, and go for it then.  Am EX is building a history from you in the meantime, as your scores are a little low.  I've seen charge card approvals in the 660 range on the forum often, but AE wants higher scores (700+ range for decent sl's and cli's).  I started with a 3k limit with AE, but has grown since then.  If you are denied next time, you might app for a different revolver.  Many members have more than one revolver, and often they are approved with higher sl's.  Good luck!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

unpaid.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.