cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay...I'm not in the garden anymore! But not by choice! Need some advice pls.

tag
toppers555
Established Contributor

Re: Okay...I'm not in the garden anymore! But not by choice! Need some advice pls.

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
1. While you are free to do anything you want, you aren't likely to get the pull removed. You explicitly ask for a lower interest rate. That meets "permissible use" all by itself.
2. You should always be prepared for a hard pull. Even when told it will be soft. Even when the members of this forum swear it will be soft. If you can't afford the hard pull, don't ask for a CLI.
3. What do you mean you can't afford a hard pull? Do you have a mortgage app in? Closing in the next 6 months? If not, at worst it delays your next round of applications by a month. In return, you have a higher limit card, which from your other threads is very important to you. You wanted more credit, you got it, it cost you an inquiry.

+1  I am really getting tired of all these post acting like a Hp is is like being sentence to be stone to death. You don't want HP then don't ask for a CLI or apply for credit, end of story. When a company does a sp for you for a CLI  it's them doing you a favor. not the other way around.  

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 21 of 39
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Re: Okay...I'm not in the garden anymore! But not by choice! Need some advice pls.

But as I said before, myFico ENCOURAGES SP's. If someone wants a CLI, and wants it to be a SP, then they have the right to ask for that. Otherwise, there would be no such thing as a SP if that was the case. And I wouldn't consider it being a favor to either party. I consider it negotiating. It's just like going to a car dealership. If you're going to purchase a car, you're going to see how low you can get on the price of the car. Same thing, you're talking to the credit card company to try and see how high they can go. If there's threads talking about SP's, you don't HAVE to read it. But at the same time, people are going to ask for credit limit increases as a soft pull. Plus, there's tons of reasons out there on why one doesn't want a HP on their credit.
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 22 of 39
zeusta20
Established Contributor

This post, again, was because they did a hard pull, and I didn't authorize it. So I wanted to see if anyone went through the same situation and if something like that is disputable. I work for a bank, and as far as I know, running someone's credit without authorization is against regulations.
Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 23 of 39
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Basically, asking for a CLI is giving them permission. Stinks but that's the response people tend to get after going up the food chain. 

I fought tooth and nail with Citi over a HP last year. Called and finally got someone willing to accept a letter detailing the exchange with their CSR. The polite response was basically: We couldn't evaluate your request without doing the HP. I'd gotten pretty lucky with SP CLIs over the years but their policy had been slightly modified.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 39
android01
Valued Contributor

@zeusta20 wrote:
This post, again, was because they did a hard pull, and I didn't authorize it. So I wanted to see if anyone went through the same situation and if something like that is disputable. I work for a bank, and as far as I know, running someone's credit without authorization is against regulations.

Who the hell cares whether it's a hard pull or a soft pull.  If you want a new credit card, or a CLI then you should be able to expect what it takes to get what you've asked for.  The focus on hard inquires here is ridiculous, as with the complaints.  I would recommend that those are so concerned should STFU because you DON'T have the history, and don't have the scores to back up what you're trying to do.  Time is the key, as always.  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 25 of 39
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@android
I think you could have gotten your point across without being rude.

Just MO
Message 26 of 39
android01
Valued Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

Just MO

What would the point be without being HONEST?  

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 27 of 39
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The phrasing of your words. You can be honest and express your opinion without suggesting someone 'STFU'

Again, just MO.
Message 28 of 39
myjourney
Super Contributor

@android01 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
@Anonymous

Just MO

What would the point be without be HONEST?  

Respectful and helpful you think?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 29 of 39
VinceYoung
Valued Member

To be fair, and this is just from my view point of course, the way the OP stated in their email; they were asking, "HOW can I request a CLI to where it will not be a hard pull on my CR..." However, you did not state that you did not want an HP for your APR. It is implied but NEVER leave anything as implied when it is in writing!

As for taking the CLI and still being able to dispute it, morally speaking, I would say no. Legally speaking you may have had grounds to dispute; however, they will counter with, "We didn't HP him for the CLI, we HP'ed him for the APR reduction. See, right here, he specifically asked for a reduction in his APR and he hadn't said anything about HP'ing him for the APR reduction."

Starting Score: 637
Current Score: EQ:712 TransRISK: 724
Goal Score: 780

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.