Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On Discover blacklist but approved by Discover Cardbuilder

tag
charyot77
Regular Contributor

On Discover blacklist but approved by Discover Cardbuilder

I used the Discover cardbuilder pre-approval engine and it said that I was pre-approved for the Discover More card.

Are my chances pretty good of being approved for this card should I pull the trigger.

I just opened 4 new credit card accounts in the past 2 weeks so I wont actually be applying, but I'm wondering because I had a charge-off with Discover about 9 years ago.

I heard that they blacklist so I'm wondering if this pre-approval means I'm off of it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: On Discover blacklist but approved by Discover Cardbuilder

Discover pre-approval website is actually misleading. Usually offer from them is recommended offer, not even pre-approval (not that pre-approval means anything from any lender).

Discover does blacklist, but you can always give it a try. As a rule of thumb though, pay off that charge-off before giving Discover a try. Make sure collection agency report paid back to Discover.

Message 2 of 10
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Actually it says pre-approved.

The "pre-qualify" page usually gives me "recommended" offers, but the actual cardbuilder said I was pre-approved.

Message 3 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Like I said, pre-approval really means nothing. Go for it if you want the card. Maybe luck will be on your side?

Message 4 of 10
charyot77
Regular Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Discover pre-approval website is actually misleading. Usually offer from them is recommended offer, not even pre-approval (not that pre-approval means anything from any lender).

Discover does blacklist, but you can always give it a try. As a rule of thumb though, pay off that charge-off before giving Discover a try. Make sure collection agency report paid back to Discover.

What headaches would be involved if this doesnt immediately happen?

Message 5 of 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

If Discover does realize you had a charge-off with them during the application process, Discover would want to you pay off that charge-off before letting you back in. Of course you can get lucky and get back to Discover with ease.

Message 6 of 10
charyot77
Regular Contributor

Gotcha, thanks! 

I'll probably app for this card after some gardening to take advantage of the no foreign exchange fee.

That will give me some time to dig up who or what I dealt with when this charged off almost 10 years ago.

Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

uummm, couple things:

1. Yes you can be blacklisted but they are also known after so many years that they let that go... Several months back when I applied I did the pre-approval and did not get one but applied anyway.  I was declined for util and INQ, no mention on letter or underwriter that they were concerned about my past BK Discover but that was over 10 years ago,  but they also had no issue with my chapter 13, (they were not included but still, it was on report)

2. Discover's Pre-Approval - While it can be misleading if you are not reading the complete message back, you do get the recommended and many think that's it or get declined after getting that and then post on here that it said I was eligible but then denied... but from my exeperience of friends I know, I have yet to see or hear of a pre-approved offer being made and then getting declined when submitting full application on that offer.

it seems like not many people do pre-approvals these days but when you think about it we do have many choises, it just is a little more round about then before... and I think everyone really misses the Bank of America because it would actually come back with choices of cards and an "Actual Credit Line" approved for... lots of issues with those credit lines being slashed before arrival but... (My father applied on an $8500 offer, when card came it was $500, upon calling underwriting it was $5000)

You can still get "pre-approved from WFFNB with Express, Victoria Secret etc. but it's more like approval and you have to create logins and shop to get it and hard to explain.

Capital One - another I wouldn't apply if you don't get an offer!

Household - Now Capital One so that one is out.

GE to upgrade to Visa or what ever type card that paticular store is.

Message 8 of 10
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@charyot77 wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

Hello charyot77!

Though I am big proponent of paying what you owe, I would NOT go back to a collection agency to pay this debt off to get back in the graces of Discover!  I'm assuming this CO has long left your CR.  Do NOT re-age it and  have the likelihood of seeing this back on your report!  I'm pretty sure that if you are blacklisted there will be no HP because your app will be kicked out before it ever gets that far.  I may be wrong on this so I hope others chime in but I know Amex and Citi both work this way.  But I do believe that though pre-approvals typically mean nothing, in Discover's case, it's a very above average percent of approval if it shows you have cards pre-approved (not recommended).  I'd actually go for it if you want this card.  I think you have a good chance based on what you've said.  If it turns out you are blacklisted- speak with Discover directly to determine if you can pay off your old debt not the collection agency.  

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 9 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I would app and if declined for old CO see if they'll let you pay it and reconsider.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.