Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence...CareCredit with possible dog issues

tag
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Re: On the fence...CareCredit with possible dog issues

Small update, the DW took Duncan to the vet today and they decided it wasn't an ACL tear after my wife told them how he wouldn't put any weight on Saturday night, but now he's walking with it. They also decided against the X-ray, so he's on an anti-inflammatory and we're going to monitor his walking habits. He's also on limited activity (as much as we can prevent him from running with the younger puppy)

He seems to know his own limitations and plays a lot less with Bolo (younger pup) but he doesn't seem depressed by any means, just sits back and watches for now!

He seems to be putting more weight on his foot more and more daily, so I'm hoping this progression continues.

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 31 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome news! Sending well wishes to Duncan for a speedy recovery!
Message 32 of 38
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Tony275 wrote:
Small update, the DW took Duncan to the vet today and they decided it wasn't an ACL tear after my wife told them how he wouldn't put any weight on Saturday night, but now he's walking with it. They also decided against the X-ray, so he's on an anti-inflammatory and we're going to monitor his walking habits. He's also on limited activity (as much as we can prevent him from running with the younger puppy)

He seems to know his own limitations and plays a lot less with Bolo (younger pup) but he doesn't seem depressed by any means, just sits back and watches for now!

He seems to be putting more weight on his foot more and more daily, so I'm hoping this progression continues.

Smiley Happy That's Great news thanks for the update!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 33 of 38
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Another update -

Duncan is doing incredible!! After 6 days with limited activity and the anti - inflammatory, he is back to his old self!!

So grateful we didn't have to even do X-rays for my buddy, we're watching him carefully and gradually increasing his activity, nothing to stressful, smaller walks, and he plays with his buddy Bolo all the time in the house!

Seriously appreciate the credit tips and kind words, all. This site impresses me more and more daily!

Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! So great to hear Duncan is better!
Message 35 of 38
omgtain
Established Member

What a handsome dog. I've got two GSDs myself.

For my guys I start the off on glucosamine and chondrotitin when they're puppies, the reason for this is if you start when they're older and in pain it is already too late-- they preserve what cartilage is left. Human and dog stuff are exactly the same so I give my dogs all human grade.

If you know you'll be doing lots of activities I give MSM for 3 days before and 2 days after.

MSM, brewers yeast, coconut oil and fish oil are natural anti-inflammatories. You can buy all of these in big tubs at costco for like $20.

Feeding grain-free foods also helps because corn, wheat, and soy tend to worsen arthritis and inflame joints.

Build a ramp or stairs for your boy, it will help a lot to ensure he doesn't hurt or tear anything (I most commonly see ACL tears in dogs who jump out of cars, jump into pools/lakes, etc). I trained my boys on contacts, which essentially means the last step or little bit of ramp has bright yellow tape and they must stop and hold their position there before getting off so I know they aren't going to launch themselves off like its a springboard.

Although hes feeling better remember that once something happens there is a high rate of reinjury, so although its been a week you're still going to want to limit him for the next month or two.

Message 36 of 38
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

I am so glad to hear your buddy is doing so much better! I can only imagine how relieved you feel.
EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 37 of 38
Tony275
Valued Contributor

There is a lot of great information posted in omgtain's post!!

I will absolutely limit him for a while, he's been "chilling out" lately which is good, the puppy is antagonizing and he lays down and "play fights' with him instead of running up and down the hallways like he would have a few weeks ago. That's also better for us so they're not so damn loud all the time ;]

I'm going to definitely get him on Glucosamine and Chondroitin as I know GSDs are very prone to bad hips, amplified later in life. His mom and dad have GREAT hips, luckily, so that's a benefit for him!

Another benefit for us is that we don't have stairs and he doesn't go on many car rides. We have a ranch home and only 1 step from the outside to the front entrance to the house!

Thanks for the tips @omgtain

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.