Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One AMEX card only

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

One AMEX card only

Just looking for input. Just wondering if there's anyone with only 1 AMEX card and is satisfied? I have the Delta Gold with $1K SL. If I get a $3000 limit that's all I need. Pay the card in full each month, card doesn't get MR but I fly Delta so the accumulated Delta points will work for me. So don't really need a charge card. What do you all think.

Message 1 of 80
79 REPLIES 79
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: One AMEX card only

@drboxing wrote:
Just looking for input. Just wondering if there's anyone with only 1 AMEX card and is satisfied? I have the Delta Gold with $1K SL. If I get a $3000 limit that's all I need. Pay the card in full each month, card doesn't get MR but I fly Delta so the accumulated Delta points will work for me. So don't really need a charge card. What do you all think.

Who knows if anyone is ever satisfied on this forum, but there are certainly some obvious use cases.   If you are interested on cashback on groceries (and gas) but have no/little interest in travel, having a BC/BCP/BCE as your only Amex makes perfect sense.   And your case is another example, don't need MRs but want Delta miles...

IMO, multiple Amex makes more sense if you are into MRs, as the cards give opening bonuses and spending bonus in different categories.  (Similarly if you are using Chase URs, you probably want more than one)

Message 2 of 80
drboxing
Established Contributor

Thanks, you make a valid point, thanks for your input

Message 3 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure lots of members have only one Amex card.

The only Amex I have is the BCP with a 22k limit (was upgraded from the BCE). Use it for at least half my monthly spend and generally has the best cashback value of all of my accts...so YES I'm satisfied. At this time there isn't any other Amex products the apeal to me.
Message 4 of 80
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I have 5 Amex cards. The only one I see myself keeping and using long term is the EDP.

The BCE has decent cash back on groceries but cash redemption can only be done 2 statements after earning, in $25 increments, and only as statement credit (or gift cards lol) which is silly. I thought about getting a BCP but it has the same problem.

As for the charge cards the high AFs make them not worth keeping for me. The rewards on the PRG aren't any better than what I get on my Citi TYP for half the fee and I don't travel often enough (or care enough about "perks") to justify the plat. Green is silly.

The EDP is simply the best card for earning MR points for those of us who don't fly multiple times a year. I can justify paying $95 for that one.

Oh and I just got a Hilton card which I plan to use to get a few award nights but Hilton points are so cheap now that it may not stay in my wallet long term. We'll see.
Message 5 of 80
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I now have 3, the green, ed, and ble. In the end i could live with just 1 and may do so eventually.
Message 6 of 80
iced
Valued Contributor

@drboxing wrote:

I'm satisfied with 0 AMEX cards.

Message 7 of 80
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since November of last year I've opened a bunch and closed a bunch of AMEX cards. I can't figure out which rewards system suits me best. 

Right now I have the no AF HIlton Honors, the AMEX Ameriprise Platinum, and the Blue Cash Preferred Open. 

Recently I had the PRG and the Everyday (at the same time), the Starwood Preferred Guest, the Green, and the Old Blue Cash. 

If you stay at hotels, Hilton and Starwood are hard to choose from. I think HIlton has most people covered with major categories that include gas, restaurants, and grocery stores... Those are places people really have to shop-- it's not like the card is offering bonus points at merchants where people rarely shop such as department stores. 

Message 8 of 80
cmm89
Frequent Contributor

I just got the PRG earlier this week and I'm a huge fan. I also have the Delta Gold. I may give that up after the no-AF grace period is up, though... PRG is a keeper I think.

What I use (& strongly recommend): Chase Sapphire Reserve | BofA/ML (Premium Rewards VS, Cash Rewards VS, Merrill+ VS) | AmEx (Amazon Prime Business)

What I have: NFCU | PenFed | General Electric CU | Wright Patt CU | Discover | BBVA | Apple Card (GS)

Total CL with Bank of America = $100,000 (Platinum Honors Merrill Client). I am a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ practitioner, so feel free to message me if you have any planning/credit questions.

EQ 759, EX 765, TU 771 (06/10/2022)

I started with scores in the 400s in 2016. This forum is a Godsend--focus on the journey, be patient, and you'll definitely get there no matter the circumstances!

Message 9 of 80
drboxing
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone your making valid points. I'm learning that it's not necessary to have multiple AMEX cards especially if the benefits don't work for you. So far I'm feeling that 1 for me is enough

Message 10 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.