Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One APR 24.9%.... The other is 12.9%

tag
pi-r-squared
Frequent Contributor

One APR 24.9%.... The other is 12.9%

Ok, I just was approved for Cap 1 Venture with 15K CL and 12.9% APR. My only other card is Cap 1 Platinum with 5K CL and 24.9% APR. That card still is in Credit Steps so the CL will rise at least $500 but that is beside the point. Obviously, I will stop using the high APR card and put it all on the lower one. I guess a balance transfer is in store, too!

My question is twofold: First, since the high APR card is only 4 months old, would calling for an APR reduction be a waste of time? Second, would putting the high APR in the sock drawer subject it to being closed by Cap 1 if I don't use it at all or sparingly?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One APR 24.9%.... The other is 12.9%

Yes to both.
Message 2 of 14
happypill
Valued Contributor

Just a note, generally you cannot BT on two cards from the same company.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

CAP 1 will not close your account if you don't use it so you can sock drawer it.  As for APR reduction, you can try but I highly doubt it.  But let us know should you win that battle.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even with 2yrs with no activity?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Even with 2yrs with no activity?

Yes.. I have an old CAP 1 I have not used in a loooong time.

Message 7 of 14
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I once went 3 years without using my CapitalOne card without them closing it for inactivity.  However…I do NOT advise anyone to go that long without using a card they actually want to keep open.  Buy a cup of coffee once a quarter or put a small re-occurring bill (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) on the card to keep it alive.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sunkissed wrote:

I once went 3 years without using my CapitalOne card without them closing it for inactivity.  However…I do NOT advise anyone to go that long without using a card they actually want to keep open.  Buy a cup of coffee once a quarter or put a small re-occurring bill (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) on the card to keep it alive.

Mine was unused for like 4 years and then they start sending 0% offers.Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
sunkissed
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sunkissed wrote:

Mine was unsed for like 4 years and then they start sending 0% offers.Smiley Happy

Cool beans! Smiley Wink

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.