Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Year With Discover Secured

tag
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

One Year With Discover Secured

When I obtained my Discover secured, I had scores of high 400 range. I have over 200 negatives across 3 reports. Now my numbers are way better (see signature).  Tomorrow is my 1 full year with them. I hope they at least give me back my $1,500 deposit. I have put 22k in purchases on this card in the last year. I have always PIF.  I currently have a 0 balance. I would love CLI and return deposit but I will settle for just my $1,500 back. We will see what happened in 7.5 hours when I call at midnight. 

Experian - 695 (4Y1M AA, 33 INQ)
Transunion - 686 (1Y5M AA, 30 INQ)
Equifax - 726 (3Y1M AA, 4 INQ)
Total Credit Lines: $99,387
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: One Year With Discover Secured

Best of luck! 

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine didn't graduate until about a week after my 12th statement cut - good luck!

Message 3 of 17
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Mine didn't graduate until about a week after my 12th statement cut - good luck!

Did they just give back the deposit or did they give a CLI?  Did you have to call or just happened automatically?

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did they just give back the deposit or did they give a CLI?  Did you have to call or just happened automatically?

It happened automatically (calling does no good with Discover secured) and they mailed back the deposit (they sent me an email first, which is how I knew it graduated). I did NOT get a CLI, and when I tried to request one, they wanted a HP so I declined. If they want a HP from you, they will specifically tell you that AFTER you submit income and employment info - the next screen after submitting that info will either approve, decline, or tell you they need a HP to continue. If they need a HP you have the option to cancel the CLI request if you don't want a HP (which is what I did because I'm in the garden and not ready for a HP yet)

Message 5 of 17
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CostantinoA wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It happened automatically (calling does no good with Discover secured) and they mailed back the deposit (they sent me an email first, which is how I knew it graduated). I did NOT get a CLI, and when I tried to request one, they wanted a HP so I declined. If they want a HP from you, they will specifically tell you that AFTER you submit income and employment info - the next screen after submitting that info will either approve, decline, or tell you they need a HP to continue. If they need a HP you have the option to cancel the CLI request if you don't want a HP (which is what I did because I'm in the garden and not ready for a HP yet)

Thanks for the information.  I also heard that after 1 year you can get a second card with them.  I am trying to weigh out my options 

Message 6 of 17
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Mine graduated about a week and a half after my one year mark. I got an email telling me that my card graduated and I would get my deposit check in the mail in 7-10 days. Then I got the check in the mail. A day later, I clicked on the button for a CLI and got an additional $500. I haven't been able to get an increase in the past 2 months, so I will try again in July.

Message 7 of 17
CostantinoA
Established Contributor

I just applied for a second card.  It gave me the 5-7 day message.  It is too late to call her new account team so I will call in the morning.  I hope I hear something soon about the secured card I alrady have with them.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CostantinoA wrote:

I just applied for a second card.  It gave me the 5-7 day message.  It is too late to call her new account team so I will call in the morning.  I hope I hear something soon about the secured card I alrady have with them.

Have you had 12 statements cut yet on your secured card? Don't count by approval/activation, count by 12 statements. Also, I probably would have waited until your card graduated before trying for another with them, but I think that message is standard when app'ing for card # 2. They want you to call to make sure it was you that app'd and that you really want a second card (or it could be a denial). Let us know how it turns out - Good luck!

Message 9 of 17
creditguy
Valued Contributor

You probably jumped the gun on a second card app. You should have realistically waited until your card unsecured first. Remember you may be ready for your card to unsecure but Discover may not be. There are more than a few contributors here who are well past 12 months and still waiting to unsecure. Regardless, good luck on your app and unsecuring.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.