Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One time large charge on Amex BCP

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: One time large charge on Amex BCP

I don’t think I have ever called a bank to ask if I could do a large charge. Some random examples:

In late 2013 I put a $4,500 transmission charge on a $10k CapOne Platinum which has history from 2003, but had not had any charges at all for ten months.

In June we put at $14,000 charge on an AMEX Hilton Aspire card with a $17k Limit.

Oh, I did have to call AMEX after trying to put a $7k IRS tax deposit charge on a new Platinum earlier this year. But that was more likely a problem with the tax payment service because it would not go through on their website. Even after calling AMEX I had to call the tax payment service to give my card info over the phone to get it done.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 17
lcab

I recently moved and put several large charges on both my Amex Gold and Magnet--including nearly $6,000 to Atlas Van Lines.  I hopped on the Amex chat feature a week or so before I moved to alert them that several large charges would be coming through.  They thanked me for the heads up and I did not have any issues.

Message 12 of 17
CluelessJohn
Contributor

Check your BCP offers.  I looked earlier today and have one that gets  you $10 on individual transaction of $1000 or more.  Can use the offer 3 times.  Maybe you can get the hospital to work with you on dividing that $4500 into 3 pieces.  $30 is $30.

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 13 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

Thanks Icab.  That is what I am planning on doing

@lcab wrote:

I recently moved and put several large charges on both my Amex Gold and Magnet--including nearly $6,000 to Atlas Van Lines.  I hopped on the Amex chat feature a week or so before I moved to alert them that several large charges would be coming through.  They thanked me for the heads up and I did not have any issues.

Message 14 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

@CluelessJohn wrote:

Check your BCP offers.  I looked earlier today and have one that gets  you $10 on individual transaction of $1000 or more.  Can use the offer 3 times.  Maybe you can get the hospital to work with you on dividing that $4500 into 3 pieces.  $30 is $30.

I was just looking at the offers earlier today and did not see that offer.  Thanks for the heads up.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bergrides wrote:

All,

I need to pay DW hospital bill tht will be almost $4500, and was thinking of putting it on my Amex BCP to get some cash back, then paying that amount as soon as it posts.   Normally my balance is around $1500 which I PIF each month, but I run 1500 - 2800 through per statement.  I have never had a charge over $300.  I am wondering if this will spook AMEX and cause any issues (spending limit decrease, etc.).  My SL is $23,500, so no issue there.  Anyone have experience with this?  I plan on calling Amex ahead of time and letting them know the charge is coming.

Thanks

(Edit to add SL)

I paid a hospital 3400 with my everyday Amex card. The card was relatively new at the time and had a balance of 4800, and a CL of 25K. I didn't call them and ran the charge through and was approved. Your credit line in most cases is the amount you can charge without asking for permission. If they need to verify, they will get in touch with you. They have advanced fraud detection now which will result in fewer contact verifications.

BTW, before you pay, ask the hospital if they will give you a discount for paying in full, AND send you a statement that you are paid in full and will receive no more charges for the services in the future. I did, and they gave me a 10% discount. Much better than the reward dollars you'll still get on the charged amount. It's like cashing in on a Amex offer. That was $340 off my bill. And I never got those dreaded bills for "other services" months later.

Message 16 of 17
bergrides
Regular Contributor

I paid a hospital 3400 with my everyday Amex card. The card was relatively new at the time and had a balance of 4800, and a CL of 25K. I didn't call them and ran the charge through and was approved. Your credit line in most cases is the amount you can charge without asking for permission. If they need to verify, they will get in touch with you. They have advanced fraud detection now which will result in fewer contact verifications.

BTW, before you pay, ask the hospital if they will give you a discount for paying in full, AND send you a statement that you are paid in full and will receive no more charges for the services in the future. I did, and they gave me a 10% discount. Much better than the reward dollars you'll still get on the charged amount. It's like cashing in on a Amex offer. That was $340 off my bill. And I never got those dreaded bills for "other services" months later.

Thanks.  I planned on asking for a discount for paying in full and asking for a receipt that says paid in full.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.