Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online vs in-store?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Online vs in-store?

Howdy all.

This will be brief for once Smiley Happy (Mod feel free to move this if needed - as I searched everywhere but couldn’t find any similar topics)

So I’m looking at a Synchrony member website currently offering 0%APR for 20 months. Bargain. I have 2 Synchrony accounts already over $25K and love them (they use TU always)

But then I saw this statement on the stores website:

“Please note
that credit decisions differ
based on whether you apply
in-store or online.“

Since I’m looking at a pretty high ticket item (think wedding bells) Smiley Happy obviously I’d like to get as much as possible. I’ve never seen this stipulation before?? Any thoughts? Will in-store merit better (or worse) results? Being self employed I’m always cognizant of my pay and paystubs. So much so we just signed up with ADP to avoid the hassle (I’m a corporation, not a sole proprietor, but self employed is always the easiest way to express the looks I got whenever before I’d show a handwritten paystub despite it being done by a CPA) sigh. But I digress... I was about to fill this out online but stopped and came here - Synchrony has always treated me well. (Very well). But is there REALLY a benefit to applying in-house or online?

Thanks!

BB Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Online vs in-store?

Moving to 'Credit Cards' for additional exposure.

--UB

Message 2 of 8
jl4
Established Contributor

The only thing I can think of is the in-store application they submit might also include how much this big ticket item is. I wouldn’t be surprised if the credit limit is based off that when applying in-store.
EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Mod for moving this to the “right” place. Still kinda new here and feeling my way around.

Re: in-store being higher? Those were my thoughts too - as say I select something like that costs $12k and have to put cash or spread across other cards - they can/could intervene with Synchrony and go to bat for me (remind myself not to wear flip flops and torn jeans and a tee that day lol 😂) but seriously- my age and the impression given when you flip open a 20 Card wallet with Amex’s and Elites and Platinums all on top of the stack and being dressed somewhat nicely and wearing a decent timepiece will get you more with the jewelry store I’d think vs. an impersonal online application?! Right? However for $12K I am concerned about the aforementioned pay stub thing. We fixed that as said but only for 2 pay cycles now. This is half the price of a semi decent new car - so can’t see why they wouldn’t ask for more info? But then again I have 2 existing $25k accounts w/Synchrony in great standing already - so truly not all that concerned. Just wanna get as much as I can on this 0% APR deal for 20 mo. that I can.

Thanks for the feedback!

BB
Message 4 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I know that at my work, when we submit an application for a store card in store, it does prompt us for the purchase amount. Our website does not ask the customer for purchase amount. But, our cards are backed by Citi not synchrony. We have never figured out if the amount that we enter for a purchase has anything to do with the approval amount though.
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I suspect that Synchrony Credit Solutions is meant to be an in-house number for stores to call to get credit lines "adjusted" based on needing to make a specific purchase (or else it would be public).  Either Synchrony doesn't mind calls from the public or the number is too small (relatively) for them to be bothered with a policy/procedure change across numerous brands.

It's just my speculation, but that might be what the sign in the store is about... the business is afraid people might apply from home and if they get a more modest credit line be discouraged from coming in for a major purchase, while they (the store) know they can at least try for a larger approval if necessary. 

Edited to add:  If you have a strong TU (and from the size of your existing Synchrony credit lines it's likely you do) there's probably little to be concerned with in any case.   Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 8
jl4
Established Contributor

I can also see the business getting a larger kickback from an in-store application. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

I suspect that Synchrony Credit Solutions is meant to be an in-house number for stores to call to get credit lines "adjusted" based on needing to make a specific purchase (or else it would be public).  Either Synchrony doesn't mind calls from the public or the number is too small (relatively) for them to be bothered with a policy/procedure change across numerous brands.

It's just my speculation, but that might be what the sign in the store is about... the business is afraid people might apply from home and if they get a more modest credit line be discouraged from coming in for a major purchase, while they (the store) know they can at least try for a larger approval if necessary. 

Edited to add:  If you have a strong TU (and from the size of your existing Synchrony credit lines it's likely you do) there's probably little to be concerned with in any case.   Smiley Wink

+1 on this.   if in store they are putting in the purchase amount, they know you are using it for that amount. Online they have no idea how much you might possibly spend.  but as UB pointed out, with the limits you have now, it "shouldnt" be an issue to get what you need. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.