Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 1 active card

tag
klondike
Valued Member

Only 1 active card

My current median score is 585 and I thought it was 631 based on the fakos from transunion. I am working on cleaning up my score so I can get the VA mortgage in the spring.

I currently have just my NFCU rewards card with a CL of 2,000.00 and a balance of 800. Would it help to open up another card to use for gas and small purchases?

If yes, what would be the best card that I could qualify for with a 585?

Thanks,

Michael.

Starting FICO EQ Score: 597
Current FICO EQ Score: 664
Goal FICO EQ Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
brianjb
Contributor

Re: Only 1 active card

A major thing hurting you is that you are using 40% of your available credit.  Number one job would be to pay that card off, or down as low as you can.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 2 of 14
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

@brianjb wrote:

A major thing hurting you is that you are using 40% of your available credit.  Number one job would be to pay that card off, or down as low as you can.

+1

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 3 of 14
brianjb
Contributor

Another piece of advice is to pull your credit reports (all three) and look at what's on them.  There may be other things causing your score to be low (collections, lates, etc).

Work on cleaning those up as well.

AMEX TrueEarnings 10K | AMEX BCE 10K | AMEX Hilton Honors 10K | AMEX Hilton Surpass 2K | Bank of America 1-2-3 2K | Barclay Card 2K | Chase Southwest Premier Visa 6K | Chase Marriott Premier Visa 9K | Discover IT Card 1.5K | Merrick Bank 1.4K | Navy Federal Credit Union Visa 10K | Navy Federal Credit Union navCheck 15K | USAA Rewards 7K |+ tons of store cards (GE furniture, Amazon, Lowes, Home Depot, etc)
Total amount of available credit $100K
Scores (as of December 2013) Equifax 714 | Experian 714 | Transunion 727
Short term goal is score 750+ across the board
Long term goal is to have all scores close to 800 or 800+
Message 4 of 14
klondike
Valued Member

I thought have an active card with no balance was a negative?

Message 5 of 14
klondike
Valued Member

I have a report from the lender from yesterday which includes all 3.

Message 6 of 14
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

The experts can chime in here, but with one card you want to keep your utilization below 10% but above 1% I believe.  They often recommend letting multiple cards report $0 balances and only 1 card report a small balance that falls below 10%, with some of the guys wtih top scores keeping that number even lower (like below 5%).  This, from what I understand, shows that you do use available credit, but you're not in over your head, so-to-speak.

Message 7 of 14
klondike
Valued Member

Ok, I will pay it down then as I have the cash.

Any ideas on what that may do to the scores?

Message 8 of 14
ForMyBiz
Frequent Contributor

I can only speak for myself, but I had rather high utilization across multiple cards (above 70%).  When I brought that down below 30% my score jumped almost 40 points.  But as another poster mentioned, you'll want to make sure there's nothing else going on with your reports too, like collections, charge-offs, lates, etc.  If you haven't done so recently, go grab all three reports and check them, free through annualcreditreport.com.   The other factors are Average Age of Accounts (AAoA) and number of inquiries.  If you can post all of that info I'd bet the guys around here can give you a better idea about where your score might go by paying down your debt on your one card.

Message 9 of 14
klondike
Valued Member

I submitted a CLI for my NFCU rewards card and they bumped it to 10k over night Smiley Happy

I also paid the card down to 500, so my util is now 5%. 3 of my collections will be submitted by the agency next Friday.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.