cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 1 card.. new suggestion for 1-2 more for credit building, gardening, etc.

tag
wallywonka
Established Member

Only 1 card.. new suggestion for 1-2 more for credit building, gardening, etc.

So I currently only have 1 credit card; Cap1 with a $500 limit. 

My credit monitoring service has my scores at around 570-580, but recently got a 612 pull from EQ.

This made me wonder if most of my scores are off by 30-40 pts. 

I would like to get 2-3 additional CC to garden with. Any suggestions for what to apply for with a credit

score in the 570-630 range.

BTW - my Cap1 has been in great standing, no lates, current utilization @ 4-5% of limit for max fico. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Dubious
Frequent Contributor

Re: Only 1 card.. new suggestion for 1-2 more for credit building, gardening, etc.

What else is on your reports that is suppressing your scores? With a bit more info, forum members might be able to point you in the right direction.

Message 2 of 8
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Only 1 card.. new suggestion for 1-2 more for credit building, gardening, etc.

Wallyword cc is a good one to start w... Free tu fico score too Smiley Wink

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 3 of 8
Capya
New Contributor

Yeah, Walmart's a good one for the monthly free TU fico.

Also, you might as well try the JCrew / Victoria's Secret shopping cart trick.

Starting Score: 573 (Exp 10/12)
Current Score: 767 (Exp 6/13)
Goal Score: 700+ I Crushed it!!!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@wallywonka wrote:

So I currently only have 1 credit card; Cap1 with a $500 limit. 

My credit monitoring service has my scores at around 570-580, but recently got a 612 pull from EQ.

This made me wonder if most of my scores are off by 30-40 pts. 

I would like to get 2-3 additional CC to garden with. Any suggestions for what to apply for with a credit

score in the 570-630 range.

@BTW - my Cap1 has been in great standing, no lates, current utilization @ 4-5% of limit for max fico. 

Welcome to the forum

IMHO wait a couple more months your doing an excellent job of getting your scores up and my advice to you is at this time it's just not right yet?

Sorry just being honestSmiley Sad

As others have mentioned if you shop at Walmart then it will be a good fit at this stage of your credit profile.

You could use the shopping cart trick for a SP TL but when it reports it will aslo ding your scores as well as AAoA.

In 2-3 months you will be in a better position with a higher chance of approval and an even better selection of cards.

Stay strong

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
wallywonka
Established Member

What is the cart trick?
Message 6 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

For more about shipping cart trick, do a search on this forums. There's a lot of useful topics. This thread is pretty useful as well http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Shopping-Cart-Trick/m-p/2144899/highlight/true#M597973

Basically you attempt to buy some stuff on some sites, and see if you are pre-approved. If you are, you can open an account without having to take a hard inquiry.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.