Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only 3 cards... Which ones

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only 3 cards... Which ones

hello all!

First time poster, but I've been reading for months now.

I recently app'd for 2 rewards cards last December. The Blue Cash Preferred and the Citi Double Cash. I've been using both of them, and so far have reaped the rewards on my citi card. My AMEX is slow at issuing rewards I've noticed, but I digress.

I was thinking about getting a 3rd card, maybe with revolving rewards categories. Maybe the Chase Freedom, Discover It... Etc.

If you could only carry 3 rewards cards, which would they be?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Only 3 cards... Which ones

It's a toss up on the Freedom or Discover. Both offer basically the same rewards. The Freedom may have more wiggly room. Since Chase has soooo many cards. Some of which allow you to share rewards.

I'd go probably Freedom only because I'd double app them for another card at the same time to maximize the HP.

Message 2 of 19
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I would look at what you really want in the rewards card; a lot of people like the rotating categories, I do not (my Freedom is sockdrawered). If you can make use of the categories, it might be worth it. Discover is better for pure cashback but Freedom is better if you are interested in UR points (and want a CSP/another card that allows transfers further down the line). Freedom is a Visa and has wider acceptance than Discover if that matters to you. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 19
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you could only carry 3 rewards cards, which would they be?

It doesn't matter what others would or would not.  You need to select cards that suit you.  Selecting a card isn't just about the cards themselves.  Sort out your needs/wants and use that to select a card.  If you want recommendations then give us more information.

If rewards are a priority then you should be looking at where the majority of your spend is going and look for cards that maximize rewards on that spend.

@Anonymous wrote:

I was thinking about getting a 3rd card, maybe with revolving rewards categories. Maybe the Chase Freedom, Discover It... Etc. 

While the categories can change form year to year have you look at the calendars for each to see if the categories would benefit you, considering the quarterly caps?

@Anonymous wrote:

My AMEX is slow at issuing rewards I've noticed, but I digress.

Rewards are issued the following cycle.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have considered the benefits, and it seems that both the cards I've mentioned have similar rewards categories, with the discover having a slight edge at the last quarter with online shopping. Helps during Christmas time.

I will disagree with you on the fact that it doesn't matter what others would or would not... Everyone has their reasons, and I wanted to know their reasons/opinions, hence why I asked the question.

i just opened my Amex card, I haven't received any rewards yet, after 2 billing cycles.

Message 5 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have considered the benefits, and it seems that both the cards I've mentioned have similar rewards categories, with the discover having a slight edge at the last quarter with online shopping. Helps during Christmas time.

I will disagree with you on the fact that it doesn't matter what others would or would not... Everyone has their reasons, and I wanted to know their reasons/opinions, hence why I asked the question.

i just opened my Amex card, I haven't received any rewards yet, after 2 billing cycles.

You want to ask for my opinion? I have like 26 cards on my account with 2 closed by me with probably some more closings since I barely use them. For the moment I am putting about 99.99% of my general spending on my citi Double cash and the 0.01% on my Amex for Costco shopping. After i get my AA card I will probably do 33% on my Amex Hilton card, 50% on my citi AA card and the rest of the 17% of my spending on my Citi Double cash card. I did just buy Airplane tickets on my Discover card thinking it would be 5% CB but i didn't realize it was only ground transportation which  sucks but oh well

To keep my other cards active I am putting charges like $0.50 purchases of Amazon gift cards onto the cards so they won't close though.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are benefits to both the Freedom and the Disco.

The Freedom has a longer 0% intro and a $150 credit if spending $500+ in the first 3 cycles. CLI's are HP's I believe.

Disco offers double cash back for the first 12 months. CLI's are SP's for the most part. (and they ask for authorization if they need to do a HP, which is nice) 

I recently got both. I like that, even though this quarter the bonus catagories are the same, next quarter they are not. (restaurants for Disco and groceries for Chase) So, next quarter the Chase will get more use than the Disco as I rarely eat out.  

I also have a Barclays that is nice as it is the only one I know of that gives a bonus for utilities. (cell bill, cable bill etc.) It's not as nice as the 5% on the other ones, but it's better than nothing.

As other have mentioned, figure out what you spend the most on and what out of those is not already covered by one of your current cards and go for that.

Message 7 of 19
newhis
Valued Contributor

I really love Discover.

With it you can get:

• double cash back for first year
  • good CLIs, several each year
  • special 0%/12 months promos
  • get lower APR every 6 months
  • get $25/$50 gift cards for $20/$45 cash back
  • TU FICO
  • my wife got extra category for a couple of months last year
  • Discover deals that get doubled after first year, I see 5%, 10% even 20% cashback offers, so that will be 10%, 20% and 40%

I don't know if I'm missing something. Good luck.

EDIT: I was lucky enough to have it when they ran the Apple Pay promotion, 10% for every purchase with it and I'll get it doubled in a few months.

Message 8 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

TBH the only reason why I have my Discover open is because the card is my one of my 2 oldest card along with my Amex Everday because of backdating I had that card since June 2013. I really don't use the card and I personally think a general 2% CB card is better because while you lose 3% depending on if the 5% is a category with Discover i get 2% o everything which makes it more simple for me to get CB. I have made over $150 in CB since June of 2015 on my DC while I think I made around $120 on my Discover since June 2013

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP

Even though I do not currently have it, Chase Freedom. (point combination with CSP)

A store card that you shop with often.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.