Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened a NFCU account.....Now what?!

tag
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Opened a NFCU account.....Now what?!

So I jumped in and pulled the trigger with NFCU!!    NO to answer questions I did NOT go for any cards yet just want to build a relationship with them first but for those that have NFCU or those that joined recently etc I do have a few questions.     I stalked some Forums for a while now people do mention the 91/3 before opting for a first card but a person did just open an account and got a card at the same time so I am curious....but if I was originally planning to wait longer than that (91/3) would that be past my 'best shot'?!      Do I need to keep money in this account (other than a minimal amount) for them to consider giving me a larger limit since I do have a CU bank that I have used for over 3 years so all my bills are set up/DD set up etc there??      Who do they pull when they check for a CC or do they check all 3?     Sorry for all the questions lol and I promise you I'm trying to do as much research as possible before bothering you all LOL.     I was thinking of doing the Platinum as my first card with them then down the line More Rewards possibly or should I do that the other way around?!      Thinking about June this year or later to consider depending on if everything else plays out the way I am planning/thinking Smiley Happy

39 REPLIES 39
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Opened a NFCU account.....Now what?!

Possibly a Cash Rewards I am debating heavily between those two the More and the Cash....More is only Amex while Cash Reward is chosable if I remember correctly?!      Visa Or MC and I don't have a MC yet....but I do love my Visa's LOL

Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now what? Now you dance 💃

.....ok I got nothing. I'll just wait here for the Navy savvy posters to come along. I opened one a little while ago too. I am just letting it sit for now. (I read pages and pages of the two big Navy threads but things change..)

Message 3 of 40
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

LOL *Cha cha cha*

Message 4 of 40
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Yay Navy Fam *high fives*

Message 5 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's no point waiting with NFCU. The sooner you apply for a card, the sooner 91/3 comes and you can ask for a CLI and second card. I would wait until 3/3 though so SUBs come back. 

You don't have to do any other business with them to get large limit cards. First card is usually a small $1K limit and then grows from there. Second card is almost always much larger than the first. 

They normally pull TU for new cards and EQ for CLIs but that isn't set in stone. 

Since More Rewards is generally just used for 3%, I would get that one first so your Platinum has the larger limit. 

Message 6 of 40
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

91/3  does not refer to how long you need to wait to apply or establish history. 91/3 refers to you must have 91 days plus an actual 3 statement cuts before eligble for requesting cli or applying second card. 

No need to wait, the mine is openSmiley Happy. Im the opposite of many here. I believe you should apply for  the card, besides FS, that best suits your need first and then go for others if you want. Limits will usually be achieved within a year anyway so no need to complicate oneselfSmiley Wink Grats on joiningSmiley Happy

Message 7 of 40
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Congrats! I'm in the same boat as you. I'm waiting on apping until the SUBs come back and in hopes of getting some good CLI's on my current cards.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 40
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

All of the above as already posted!!  Why wait?  When I signed up with Navy, it was only a day wait while my account was taken care of and the Credit Card request was already placed.  You won't be penalized or face any kick-back for requesting a card upon opening an account, they will be more than happy to set you up trust me.

Message 9 of 40
donkort
Valued Contributor

I'm thinking of joining. My deceased father was in the Army.  Do they ask for the DD-14 right away?

Thank you.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.