Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened way too many cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opened way too many cards

Hi everyone.

I recently went on a "small" app spree, and I think I definitely overdid it.

In a span of 1-2 weeks, I ended up opening 8 new accounts.

The reason why I opened them is to let my cards age, and therefore, let my credit score grow.

Any opinions?

18 REPLIES 18
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Opened way too many cards

It looks well rounded from the looks of your images.  Just use them and PIF each month for 6 months and then hit them for CLI's.  

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

It looks well rounded from the looks of your images.  Just use them and PIF each month for 6 months and then hit them for CLI's.  

+1

You got some nice cards, so I would consider your 2 week spree successful. You'll want to garden now so you don't go too far and start getting denials. Just garden and let them grow, and they will! Once your CLIs on these grow, you'll start getting approved for higher limits. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

The "hard" part now is to RETIRE your app finger 😀

You'll have to fight the URGE to app for more and more and more...And just work on AGING what you have

SP CLIs are OK but otherwise force yourself NOT to app for anything until AT LEAST 2018

And even then 'what' NEW additional unsecured revolving accounts would be really NEEDED...With the vendors you have in your bag to grow right now.

*Granted car loans are fair game but more CC apps with as many accounts as you have now?

The good news is you are DONE,
The challenge is will you QUIT, while you're ahead😉
Message 4 of 19
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

I like the way you put that.

@Anonymous wrote:

You'll have to fight the URGE to app for more and more and more...And just work on AGING what you have

SP CLIs are OK but otherwise force yourself NOT to app for anything until AT LEAST 2018

And even then 'what' NEW additional unsecured revolving accounts would be really NEEDED...With the vendors you have in your bag to grow right now.

*Granted car loans are fair game but more CC apps with as many accounts as you have now?

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 5 of 19
Abelcrdn
Regular Contributor

I am in the same boat, does look like the cards you got picked are all good cards! I just had two secure cards that I use to get my desired cards Smiley Happy

1.) Amex BCE $1,000
2.) Amex Delta $2,000
3.) Costco Citi $6,500
5.) Barclay MC Rewards $7,500
6.) Southwest $2,700
7.) Alaska $2,800
8.) Us Bank Cash + Visa $2,000
9.) NCFU $2,600

I love every single one of them! And use them all !! Citi and Us bank are both on 0% interest . Was kinda disappointed with my NCFU since my scores are all above 730 but oh well.
12/23 Fico Score 8 TU-761 EX -747 EQ-734
Message 6 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Abelcrdn, give it 3 months and your Navy card can be like 25k lol, with a Navy card, i would never sweat the sl. They seem to explode when you least expect itSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 19
Abelcrdn
Regular Contributor

That's what I'm hoping for! So what until after the third statement
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well said!

Message 9 of 19
Abelcrdn
Regular Contributor

I need to join the garden, very wel written Gemi ! I'm completely content with every card. It's seriously like a crack addiction my wife's thinks I'm insane! She might kill me if I get another one so that should give me some greater motivation!
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.