cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a CC for a single large purchase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opening a CC for a single large purchase?

Wasn't really sure what to put as the subject for this...but I have a question regarding my dad's logic:

When I went with him to pick up his truck from Firestone (he got new tires put on) they were offering like $50 off if he opened a credit card for the purchase. He did it and I asked him why he would open a credit card for a single purchase. He said that it looks good to open a card, pay it off, then close the account.

Is there a fallacy in his logic? Obviously this is adding a hard inquiry on your report and lowering your AAoA so I don't see how it would be beneficial.

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opening a CC for a single large purchase?

@Anonymous wrote:

Wasn't really sure what to put as the subject for this...but I have a question regarding my dad's logic:

When I went with him to pick up his truck from Firestone (he got new tires put on) they were offering like $50 off if he opened a credit card for the purchase. He did it and I asked him why he would open a credit card for a single purchase. He said that it looks good to open a card, pay it off, then close the account.

Is there a fallacy in his logic? Obviously this is adding a hard inquiry on your report and lowering your AAoA so I don't see how it would be beneficial.

BIG Fallacy.

Your friend can expect a low AAoA if they do this all the time.

Message 2 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No it doesn't look good. Some lenders will flip out on you if you open cards, get the bonus and then close them right away. This case is a bit different because its a firestone card, but why wouldn't he just leave the account open and let it age? His AAoAs drop from the new account and he takes the hit on the inq as well. Its doubtful they give him a huge credit line so it won't help for util purposes. If he opened the card and just left it open then over time it will benefit his credit report by building up history and I suppose if he closes it then it will stay on his account for 10 years and it will help some down the line, but the immediate result is a score hit for little benefit.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 30
smc733
Valued Contributor

The poster above me has hit the nail on the head for why this isn't useful for FICO purposes.  It only drags down AAoA, and from what I understand, manual reviews of credit profiles frown on dowing this very thing.

I have a no-onetime-use policy.  This means store/gas cards are usually out for me, as their scope is too limited.  Credit cards are most ideal when only maintaining network (V/MC/AX/D) cards, IMO.  I'd only consider a store card if it had a specific benefit (Best Buy financing) that outweighed using a Visa card.  I act as if one-time signups don't even exist for this very reason.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 4 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

BIG Fallacy.

Your friend can expect a low AAoA if they do this all the time.

+1 Oh doing this on a consistent basis will just destroy his credit because the AAoAs will be kept low. Take a look on the board for "Understanding fico scoring" and it will give you a better idea of how the credit scores are broken down and why this doesn't work. 

;
Message 5 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No it doesn't look good. Some lenders will flip out on you if you open cards, get the bonus and then close them right away. This case is a bit different because its a firestone card, but why wouldn't he just leave the account open and let it age? His AAoAs drop from the new account and he takes the hit on the inq as well. Its doubtful they give him a huge credit line so it won't help for util purposes. If he opened the card and just left it open then over time it will benefit his credit report by building up history and I suppose if he closes it then it will stay on his account for 10 years and it will help some down the line, but the immediate result is a score hit for little benefit.  

Chase really doesn't like that one.

Message 6 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase really doesn't like that one.

+1 yep they specifically say to us that this is a way to get adverse action. 

;
Message 7 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you everyone! I looked at it the same way, I just wanted some reassurance that I was right lol

Message 8 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thank you everyone! I looked at it the same way, I just wanted some reassurance that I was right lol

What is DD credit score already? I'm guessing it is not bad at all.

Openning an occasional store card to take advantage of the bonus is much different than the typical conversation here on MyFICO where folks want to find the bestest benefits and hunt them all down, nailing the resulting cancelled cards up on the wall in their trophy room.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What is DD credit score already? I'm guessing it is not bad at all.

Openning an occasional store card to take advantage of the bonus is much different than the typical conversation here on MyFICO where folks want to find the bestest benefits and hunt them all down, nailing the resulting cancelled cards up on the wall in their trophy room.

You've been in my trophy room? 

;
Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.