cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening a CC for a single large purchase?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opening a CC for a single large purchase?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

his credit score is in the high 600s, he doesn't do it frequently but that's not the point

Any baddies to speak of?

on his credit report? 'no not that I know of

Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

his credit score is in the high 600s, he doesn't do it frequently but that's not the point

Any baddies to speak of?

Could be high DTI and or utilization then.

Message 22 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My reply to this is why the heck would you open a card for $50 rewards?

I do a moderate amount of bonus churning, but when i do, I usually sign up for something that will give me at least $500 for the effort. It seems like your dad would have been much better off opening a chase southwest, citi addvantage etc, put the tires on it to meet minimum spend and then close it if they really want to do that (not that they should do that, but if they wanted to do that...). Trading a new a new account for $50 seems like a bad deal 

Because that person is not as educated as they should be about how credit actually works. Not ignorant; just uninformed.

I was the same way for most of my life; heck I still make financial mistakes.

And also depends on mindset.   In this case, the question: do I want $50 of this purchase?   If people really aren't into ccs they way most here are, questions like "Could I open another credit card to get a bigger bonus?" just don't occur (and wouldn't really be timely) any more than "I could set up a lemonade stand (or a meth lab) and get the money for the tires that way"

So he opens that card, gets $50 off and is happy.   If he doesn't need serious credit any time soon, the HP hardly matters.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My reply to this is why the heck would you open a card for $50 rewards?

I do a moderate amount of bonus churning, but when i do, I usually sign up for something that will give me at least $500 for the effort. It seems like your dad would have been much better off opening a chase southwest, citi addvantage etc, put the tires on it to meet minimum spend and then close it if they really want to do that (not that they should do that, but if they wanted to do that...). Trading a new a new account for $50 seems like a bad deal 

Because that person is not as educated as they should be about how credit actually works. Not ignorant; just uninformed.

I was the same way for most of my life; heck I still make financial mistakes.

And also depends on mindset.   In this case, the question: do I want $50 of this purchase?   If people really aren't into ccs they way most here are, questions like "Could I open another credit card to get a bigger bonus?" just don't occur (and wouldn't really be timely) any more than "I could set up a lemonade stand (or a meth lab) and get the money for the tires that way"

So he opens that card, gets $50 off and is happy.   If he doesn't need serious credit any time soon, the HP hardly matters.

considering he is planning on retiring in 2 years...moving and buying a new house, I would say he should be taking his credit seriously. Not saying he doesn't, but like someone mentioned before he is just misinformed 

Message 24 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any baddies to speak of?

Ok, so it should be over 700 if standard "I don't really care" is working for DD. I would suggest this might happen often, but yeah, utilization is likely an issue as well.

OP: you are on the right track to subtly try to help DD to understand actions that are causing potential credit drags. It's a difficult subject to impose on anyone, however. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any baddies to speak of?

Ok, so it should be over 700 if standard "I don't really care" is working for DD. I would suggest this might happen often, but yeah, utilization is likely an issue as well.

OP: you are on the right track to subtly try to help DD to understand actions that are causing potential credit drags. It's a difficult subject to impose on anyone, however. 

It's easy to maintain just below 700's FICOs by being financially stable but not really caring about HP's or UTL.

Message 26 of 30
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Any baddies to speak of?

It's easy to maintain just below 700's FICOs by being financially stable but not really caring about HP's or UTL.

Yes, simple "never missed a payment" can bouy the score in spite of my high utilization and recent apping.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 27 of 30
lee645

I know this forum focuses on scores, that's fine. My opinion is $50 is a nice chunk of change just for being approved. Depending on the price of the tire/s this could amount to a huge discount, much higher than using a 2% card. What good is a good credit score if it can't save you money? I suspect he has a fairly strong profile if he does this often (closed accounts still add to AAoA for 10 years) closing the account then in 2-3 years when it's tire time again get another discount to repeat..

Personally I don't see the issue unless not paid off by end of promo period in which case you end up losing any gains to interest charges which store cards usually has a high rate and backdated to date of purchase.

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lee645 wrote:

I know this forum focuses on scores, that's fine. My opinion is $50 is a nice chunk of change just for being approved. Depending on the price of the tire/s this could amount to a huge discount, much higher than using a 2% card. What good is a good credit score if it can't save you money? I suspect he has a fairly strong profile if he does this often (closed accounts still add to AAoA for 10 years) closing the account then in 2-3 years when it's tire time again get another discount to repeat..

Personally I don't see the issue unless not paid off by end of promo period in which case you end up losing any gains to interest charges which store cards usually has a high rate and backdated to date of purchase.

Basically I agree with this and LTL's comment.  For the average Joe Schmoe, depending on their particular situation, it's a legitimate enough way to use your credit  You save a chunk of change and you dont really feel or notice the impact one iota in your life.

I think the problem would be him going for a home loan, which his son mentioned, and then these kinds of things could really come back to haunt him.  It would be horrible to lose thousands of dollars with an inferior interest rate because for the past few years he'd been doing the $50 pop, open and close shop trick.  In that case it's really bad, but I'm sure in a lot of situations it doesn't really hurt at all.

Message 29 of 30
Chris679
Established Contributor

OP I think your question has been answered, this is not beneficial for the credit score.

I agree with others though that if you have a really thick file and the new account won't effect you much I would not hesitate to do it. 800 score? Have at it. 700 score? Not so much.
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.