Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opensky CC

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Re: Opensky CC

If you have exchausted all of your options then i guess you can go with the Open Sky, I will admit that the 14.25% APR is one of the lowest i have seen for a card in it's class.

Your profile is very similar to what i had when i first started off 2 years ago, but in addition to the 2 collections i also had a charge off and no credit at all. 

Message 11 of 28
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

Same here, two collections and one charge off from a bank loan.  All less than $1300 combined and all three years old at this point. 

From your siggy your credit has certainly improved Smiley Very Happy

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 12 of 28
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

OpenSky is a very good choice for you.   Once you build some history (over 6 months),  you can probably get a secured card with good terms.    That is what I did.

This card has no grace period so keeping the daily balance low is important to mnimize interest charges.  So you should charge some things and then immediately make a payment.   

Message 13 of 28
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@2FixMyCredit wrote:

I can't get credit ANYWHERE! LOL Its kind of sad but it is what it is!  I don't have an option to get it anywhere else that pulls your credit because as soon as they do they say no.  I am trying my best to rebuild but it seems impossible to since I can't even get approved for a secured card!  That is why I feel Opensky is the only choice I have left at the moment.

I think at this point you should worry more about paying your collections and getting headed in the right direction before you worry about getting a new tradeline.

use the money you would for the deposit and save if necessary and negogiate the collection agencies for a pay for delete.  this is the right way to do things and will be way more beneficial in the long fun then adding new credit will.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 28
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I haven't read through everyone else's posts, following the OP, but try First Progress. They don't have any hidden fees except an annual fee paid yearly ($39???), and you don't incur finance charges from the date of purchase, unless you don't pay the bill in full when due.

Message 15 of 28
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

His main problem right now though is that he has no credit, i agree that he should tackle those collections but he can also start building a credit history while doing that.

Message 16 of 28
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Tandem. Build AAOA, while killing CA/CO's... That's the road I took.

Message 17 of 28
alexhortdog
Regular Contributor

I'd have to agree with the poster who said to pay off collections at this point.  In one year's time, I went from paying a boatload of collections to just paying off the last BAD debt I had. 

You need to be patient with yourself.  Don't hesitate to do PFDs, GW letters and such.

Let me ask this question - do you have a 401(k)?  Some will let you take a loan out on your 401(k) - which is different from a withdrawal, which you would be penalized for doing.  That's how I paid off a bunch of my sfuff last year, along with taxes.

Now, I contribute to my 401(k) and have a very small payment coming out for the remainder of my loan.  Any extra monies I get I put towards the principal of my loan.

Starting Score: 605 (Experian); 588 (Equifax); 590 (TransUnion)
Current Score: 626 (Experian); 667 (Equifax); 670 (TransUnion)
Goal Score: 800

Message 18 of 28
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

I agree it's not a great card, but I was in your situation two years ago -- declined for a secured card by my own bank -- and I used it as a building block. In my case, they wouldn't convert to an unsecured card or increase the limit after 12 months, so I got better cards and closed it. If you don't have any other options, at least you can use this card to start building a positive history. 

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
Message 19 of 28
2FixMyCredit
Established Contributor

No, I don't it certainly would make this process a little faster.  

For those saying to pay the collections before I get a new CC, for me and this is my own personal opinion about my situation as I'm the one living it...it is better to get some sort of positive credit going while getting them deleted off.

Total CL: $40k+
Discover, BOA, GE, Cap 1, Chase, Barclay!
Gardening Start: 04/22/2013

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.