Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions About Airline Frequent Flyer Miles

tag
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Opinions About Airline Frequent Flyer Miles

So my business AMEX is up for the AF. I want to cancel but was thinking about transferring my points to a frequent flyer program. I have a green for business. If I don't transfer now the points will be MRE. So has anyone done this. I'm not sure about Star Alliance etc. what is the best bang for my buck. I'm looking to use them for a trip to SFO in November. Any suggestions are helpful. A quick google search about this yields tons of complicated methods/opinions
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Opinions About Airline Frequent Flyer Miles

@laboi_22 wrote:
So my business AMEX is up for the AF. I want to cancel but was thinking about transferring my points to a frequent flyer program. I have a green for business. If I don't transfer now the points will be MRE. So has anyone done this. I'm not sure about Star Alliance etc. what is the best bang for my buck. I'm looking to use them for a trip to SFO in November. Any suggestions are helpful. A quick google search about this yields tons of complicated methods/opinions

I'm not sure how your points work on the Green AMEX. I have the Delta Platinum AMEX and believe its one of the best frequent flyer programs out there.

I would suggest that since AMEX already have an in depth relationship with Delta, that you look into a skymiles account and try to move your points there.

Message 2 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

Unfortunately, that's because it's pretty complicated.  If there was one easy fits all/fits most approach, that's what everyone would do.

How many points are you talking about?  Are the dates for your trip to SFO already set?  Have you looked at availability for the various airlines you can use for those dates?  Depending on availability, that might answer the question for you right there.

I don't think there are any transfer bonuses right now, so you're probably going to get 1:1 for your points.  Are you near a hub for a certain airline?  That might help you choose as well.  If you end up not doing the SFO trip, perhaps have greater flexibility with the points if you put them with an airline with more options.

Another option if you are not sure about the SFO trip is to just let them become MRE points.  At the time when you decide you do want to use the points, upgrade your Zync (I'm assuming that's what is giving you the MRE points) to a green and make the transfer. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

boardingarea.com

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 8
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Thanks for the valuable advice and information. I live near a small airport and we only have access to AA, United, and Delta. I was interested in the Delta program. I will do some more digging. My trip is in November and my dates are set. I don't have to worry about canceling my AMEX Green until October so I have time to think about what options I want. The information regarding programs are overwhelming. I live close enough to New Orleans (2.5 hours) so that if I need access to a large amount of major carriers, I can certainly travel a longer distance if that makes more sense. Thanks again for all the help!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 5 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Here's the sites I like most for this kind of info: thepointsguy.com, frugaltravelguy.com, millionmilesecrets.com, boardingarea.com/blogs/onemileatatime, boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfromthewing, boardingarea.com/blogs/mommypoints.  Of course there's also flyertalk and milepoint, but flyertalk is unwieldy.

If you're only talking about enough points for one flight, I'd just see what's available on the different carriers and then do the transfer.  If you have a lot of excess points, then you may need to do some more research about where to park them. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
vincentwelch566
New Visitor

Airline mile points are always the best one for me to use for a cheaper travel. At tilmes I also prefer buying the points from the https://sellmyrewards.com/ and using them fro my travel because buying miles points costs less than spending directly on flight travel chages.

Message 7 of 8
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

I'm a big fan of Delta. I've been racking up points with my Delta AmEx and PRG. Plus, if you become a new SkyMiles customer you can earn an additional 40K bonus miles. Here's a link: http://dmn.delta.com/offers/skymilesnewmember/
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.