Did you mean: 

Opinions Wanted Chase Sapphire Approval Odds

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Opinions Wanted Chase Sapphire Approval Odds

@MercyMe wrote:

What to do about Chase!

I have never had a Chase CC.  DH did, however, and after running it up to above the limit, several years ago now, he stopped paying.  In an attempt to rescue HIS credit rating I begain making payments from my own bank account, that were automatically withdrawn to be sure they were never late.  Chase then, and unbenounced to me, made ME the primary account holder, since I was making the payments, and will not remove the account or all of the lates from all three credit reporting agencies, so stating that the late payments occurred so long ago (3+years ago) that they hardly matter anymore AND since the account is and has been current since I began paying, it shows as a positive more than a negative account on my reports, regardless of the fact that the lates and over the limit notation will continue to be reported against ME for the next 3+ years!  All efforts to try to dispute this have failed, since Chase placed the account in my name, again since I was the one paying, causing it to appear as though I was solely responsible for the account. 

So many times I would have loved to apply for the Chase Saphire, in order to take advantage of such things as no fee balance transfers and such, but am unable to because, according to Chase, "I" am still paying off an account that has numerous 60 days lates prior to the time that I began making on time payments.

There are three negative accounts that appear on my credit reports.  The major one being the near home repo of near 4 years ago now, ONE late car payment  of the six year long auto loan, and Chase!

So now; what to do about Chase?  Does it matter?  Should I just let it go and keep paying?

I dont see how Chase could have all of a suddent made you the primary account owner. Was this ever a joint account or were you a AU?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say the main question is B335is', are you pre-approved for any cards on Chase's site?  Which ones?  Have you got prequals in the mail?  For which cards?

If the answer is yes for either of those for the CSP (it's iffy if for a Freedom) then pull.  If not, then don't. 

Message 12 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Really want to add the Chase CSP & FU to my roster. Seeking thoughts on approval odds. I am prequalified for the Freedom & Slate....

FICO 8 | EX 683 | EQ: 692 | TU: 711

UTIL % | EX: 11% | EQ 11% | TU: 11%

AAoA | EX: 3.9y | EQ: 4.9y | TU: 3.0y

INQ's | EX: 0 | EQ: 2 | TU: 2

CapOneMC $1,000 / $00.0 Bal Opened 9/2010

CapOneMC $7,250 / $00.0 Bal Opened 10/2011

PACU Visa $5,000 / $2393 Bal Opened 6/2015

BarclaysMC $10,000 / $16 Bal Opened 3/2016

EX & EQ | 2 Closed Student Loans reported 120+ PD 16 months ago (removed from TU)

EX/EQ/TU | 2 Tax Liens from Aug/Oct 2010

Did you check their pre-qual site.

Also, are the tax liens paid? The reason for asking is that if you end up applying and you are denied, and when you call for a recon they will ask you about those liens.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also updated original post with some more detail of my profile...

Data Points

1) I'm pre-approved for the the Slate & Freedom @ 23.24% APR on Chase's Website (have it book marked) and just checked again

2) Those offers have been there since late February / early March when my TU / EX Scores were 30 to 40 points lower and each still had 1 or 2 collections reporting.

3.) I've backed into my EX & TU reports and Chase hasn't soft-pulled since that time frame either...

4.) CreditKarma has approval odds "Very Good" and my TU Vantage Score is 10 points above the Average Approved Score...but I'm sure they will double pull.

5.) CardMatch gives me Chase Sapphire Preferred Targeted Offer.

6.) PreApproved for Venture/VentureOne/QuickSilver @18.49% on Capital One's website (again those finally popped in March when EQ Fico was around 660.

7.) Income is +/- $100K

8.) Tax Lien(s) (thank you ex-wife) are unpaid (they only get my tax refunds) will be paid/gone in another year and will try to have removed then.

Message 14 of 20
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Sjt, not to my knowledge, as I never had access to a/the card or the account prior to paying the bill, but now that you mention it I'm going to again contact Chase and request a copy of the  application that goes back 6-8 years, if they'll give it to me.  Because it's his account they don't tell me much, and haven't allowed me access to the account online.  I have to rely upon paper statements that arrive in his name.    It could be that upon applying for the card DH made me an authorized user and never made me aware of this, and Chase has never so much as suggested that I was, simply stating that I assumed responsibility for the account when I took over the payments.  When I took it over he owed close to $4000 which I've paid down to just over $600.   It's been a long and slow process as the interest rate is so terribly high.

Should you be wondering why I don't just ask DH whether he made me an authorized user or not, I have, and he tells me that he doesn't even remember applying for the card, which was shut down near as fast as he received it.  Within 6 months; but that's been his way for many long years now.  He applies for everything he can, purchases everything he can, and then walks away, without having made, at times, a single payment.  There's a long, long, list of creditors he's walked away from and but for the fact that I took over, he would probably have been sued at least a dozen times!  He's just no good at managing  credit and I've had to bail him out more than a few times, and us, when he's wrecked both of our credit, at least twice, which is how we ended up nearly losing the house, and how it was that I landed here.  For the past several years now, I have kept my accounts separate and apart from his to include the mortgate which is solely in my name and always gets paid.  It makes me none to happy to know that he recently received a Capital One card that started out with a $500 credit limit but has since been bumped up to $2500, and within a relatively short period of time.  That scares me. 

Other than being so rather financially irresponsible, he's a fairly great guy. 

Message 15 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I also updated original post with some more detail of my profile...

Data Points

@1) I'm pre-approved for the the Slate & Freedom @ 23.24% APR on Chase's Website (have it book marked) and just checked again

2) Those offers have been there since late February / early March when my TU / EX Scores were 30 to 40 points lower and each still had 1 or 2 collections reporting.

3.) I've backed into my EX & TU reports and Chase hasn't soft-pulled since that time frame either...

4.) CreditKarma has approval odds "Very Good" and my TU Vantage Score is 10 points above the Average Approved Score...but I'm sure they will double pull.

5.) CardMatch gives me Chase Sapphire Preferred Targeted Offer.

@6.) PreApproved for Venture/VentureOne/QuickSilver @Anonymous.49% on Capital One's website (again those finally popped in March when EQ Fico was around 660.

7.) Income is +/- $100K

8.) Tax Lien(s) (thank you ex-wife) are unpaid (they only get my tax refunds) will be paid/gone in another year and will try to have removed then.

Id say go for it!

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SJT - well the BT payment from Barclay to the Credit Union posted yesterday (paying off the account). The credit union updates on to CRA's on the last day of each month, usually takes 2-5 days for it to update on all 3 reports. EQ updated today with my $0 bal on the Cap QS card, EQ is at 697 (so close to 700) ...so I'll have about a 1 to 2 week window to do my app spree with max scores (hopefully all 700 + when I star). Here's my strategy:

1 & 2 ) App for Chase CSP, if approved, app for Freedom Unlim in a second browser window. ( 12 mth INQ: EX 1 | EQ: 1 | TU: 2 )

3 & 4 ) App for Amex PRG, if approved, app for Amex BCP ( Prequal on Credit Karma w 50,000 PT offer on PRG & ) ( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 1 | TU: 2 )

Breath - maybe cool off Experian Report

5 & 6 ) App for CapOne Venture, if approved, app for QuickSilver (Visa) ( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 2 | TU: 3 )

7 ) If good so far, I'll app for Discover It (Chrome) would like to get in with them but not as important as the CSP & PRG

Anticipated but hoping for more: I could be way over or way under

CHASE CSP - $5000

CHASE FU - $3500

Amex PRG - NPSL

Amex BCP - $5000 *might be aiming to high

Cap Vent - $10,000

Cap QS - $5000

DISC - $2000-$5000

( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 3 | TU: 4 ) Discover only pulled EQ last time I apped in March 2015, they'll prob pull both EQ & TU

I can hit the spend bonus on all 6 cards over the next 90 days, I PIF each month anyways before cycle (except for that awesome CU Visa with it's low fixed rate)

TO THE GARDEN UNTIL 2018

Message 17 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

@MercyMe wrote:

Sjt, not to my knowledge, as I never had access to a/the card or the account prior to paying the bill, but now that you mention it I'm going to again contact Chase and request a copy of the  application that goes back 6-8 years, if they'll give it to me.  Because it's his account they don't tell me much, and haven't allowed me access to the account online.  I have to rely upon paper statements that arrive in his name.    It could be that upon applying for the card DH made me an authorized user and never made me aware of this, and Chase has never so much as suggested that I was, simply stating that I assumed responsibility for the account when I took over the payments.  When I took it over he owed close to $4000 which I've paid down to just over $600.   It's been a long and slow process as the interest rate is so terribly high.

Should you be wondering why I don't just ask DH whether he made me an authorized user or not, I have, and he tells me that he doesn't even remember applying for the card, which was shut down near as fast as he received it.  Within 6 months; but that's been his way for many long years now.  He applies for everything he can, purchases everything he can, and then walks away, without having made, at times, a single payment.  There's a long, long, list of creditors he's walked away from and but for the fact that I took over, he would probably have been sued at least a dozen times!  He's just no good at managing  credit and I've had to bail him out more than a few times, and us, when he's wrecked both of our credit, at least twice, which is how we ended up nearly losing the house, and how it was that I landed here.  For the past several years now, I have kept my accounts separate and apart from his to include the mortgate which is solely in my name and always gets paid.  It makes me none to happy to know that he recently received a Capital One card that started out with a $500 credit limit but has since been bumped up to $2500, and within a relatively short period of time.  That scares me. 

Other than being so rather financially irresponsible, he's a fairly great guy. 

At the very least you wont be blacklisted since you are paying down this card. I would definietly contact Chase and confirm the ownership of the account and if in fact you are listed as the applicant or co-applicant, find out when this was done.

My two cents- Im sure your hubby is an awesome guy but you need to put him on track with regards to financial responsibilities becasue its effecting your credit.

Message 18 of 20
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt - well the BT payment from Barclay to the Credit Union posted yesterday (paying off the account). The credit union updates on to CRA's on the last day of each month, usually takes 2-5 days for it to update on all 3 reports. EQ updated today with my $0 bal on the Cap QS card, EQ is at 697 (so close to 700) ...so I'll have about a 1 to 2 week window to do my app spree with max scores (hopefully all 700 + when I star). Here's my strategy:

1 & 2 ) App for Chase CSP, if approved, app for Freedom Unlim in a second browser window. ( 12 mth INQ: EX 1 | EQ: 1 | TU: 2 )

3 & 4 ) App for Amex PRG, if approved, app for Amex BCP ( Prequal on Credit Karma w 50,000 PT offer on PRG & ) ( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 1 | TU: 2 )

Breath - maybe cool off Experian Report

5 & 6 ) App for CapOne Venture, if approved, app for QuickSilver (Visa) ( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 2 | TU: 3 )

7 ) If good so far, I'll app for Discover It (Chrome) would like to get in with them but not as important as the CSP & PRG

Anticipated but hoping for more: I could be way over or way under

CHASE CSP - $5000

CHASE FU - $3500

Amex PRG - NPSL

Amex BCP - $5000 *might be aiming to high

Cap Vent - $10,000

Cap QS - $5000

DISC - $2000-$5000

( 12 mth INQ: EX 2 | EQ: 3 | TU: 4 ) Discover only pulled EQ last time I apped in March 2015, they'll prob pull both EQ & TU

I can hit the spend bonus on all 6 cards over the next 90 days, I PIF each month anyways before cycle (except for that awesome CU Visa with it's low fixed rate)

TO THE GARDEN UNTIL 2018

Good strategy, but I would skip the Discover.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJT, why do you say that? Opinion or something else?

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.