Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Comenity Bank.

tag
greenpang
Contributor

Opinions on Comenity Bank.

I've been pleased with my experiences with Comenity and am happy with my cards with them -- and reading their website, they have a smart/modern purpose, etc.

Pretty much the exact opposite of another retail CC bank... GE. (GE has made four mistakes on my credit report in just the past month; they really seem like have monkeys operating their systems and just pressing random buttons.)

Do others agree with the superiority of Comenity to GE?

Credit Scores: FICOs: TU 721 | Plus FAKOs: EX 726, EQ 739, TU 735 | CK FAKOs: Transrisk 689, Vantage 790
My Wallet: Amex Green (NPSL) | Amex SPG (21.6K) | Citi ThankYou Preferred (10.5K) | Amex BCE (8K) | US Air Premier MC (9.5K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (8.5K) | Chase Freedom (5K) | Barclays Arrival (5K) | Pier 1 (2.5K) | Express (0.8K) | Kohl's (0.5K)
DH's Wallet (AU): Amex PRG (NPSL) | Chase Sapphire Preferred (26.2K) | Amex Delta (22.5K) | Barclays Arrival (12.8K) | CareCredit (8K) | Amex BCE (7.5K) | Chase Freedom (7K) | Sears Citi (6K) | Victoria's Secret (1K)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions on Comenity Bank.

@greenpang wrote:

I've been pleased with my experiences with Comenity and am happy with my cards with them -- and reading their website, they have a smart/modern purpose, etc.

Pretty much the exact opposite of another retail CC bank... GE. (GE has made four mistakes on my credit report in just the past month; they really seem like have monkeys operating their systems and just pressing random buttons.)

Do others agree with the superiority of Comenity to GE?

No opinion on performance since I don't have a card with them, but don't understand what you mean by:

they have a smart/modern purpose

They are a credit card division whose goal is to make money, which is exactly the same goal as GE's similar division.  

Note the tag line of the parent corporation's Retail Division: "Know more, sell more" and:

We leverage consumer insights and proven marketing strategies to create targeted, branded communications that engage customers and drive loyalty. The result: cardholders that buy more, over a longer period of time.

Alliance Data has stayed true to its mission: to deliver credit solutions that measurably grow our clients’ business and profitability.

So they are not in it to benefit consumers, except in ways that help you buy more.   Nothing wrong with that but I don't see where "smart/modern purpose" fits in

But it does sound like they are on their way to making you a loyal customer!

Message 2 of 7
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Commenity Bank does not generate a statement if you buy something and then pay it off before the statement closes.    I really dislike not having a statement showing your charges and payments.  Other than that, they are fine, since I always let the balance close. 

My only account with GE is Paypal Smart Connect and they are very slow to post payments and so you have to wait about a week before you can make the next payment.  I  have seen some odd things when you pay right before closing, like it doesn;t post till after closing date, but minimum payment is still due,  But it is OK, now that I understand the timing.  

Message 4 of 7
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

I have an American Signature Furniture card through Comenity Bank. I love the 36 month 0% financing deal, but to be quite honest, there were a few times that I've had to get on them about how they were posting my payments or not posting them in order to show that I still had a minimum payment due. I can't say that I'm dying to get another account with them. I like GECRB better because they for the most part take care of their customers. They have good customer service, they for the most part give steady credit limit increases, and they're also pretty forgiving.

One thing that does grind my gears about my GECRB Amazon card is that I haven't seen an increase since getting the card, but I have seen movement on everything else. Partly, I think this is my fault because for a long time I wouldn't charge anything on it. I just kept using my Amex points for my purchases on their site. That doesn't make GECRB bad, it just means they wanted to see me use the card more. I still feel they could have given me something. Still, if I had to choose, I'd say GECRB is better than Commenity.

I hope you're able to resolve your issues with them. They really are pretty good.

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
chan85
Established Contributor

Have you all had CLIs with your cards? If I request them are they a soft pull? I have a NY&Co card thais I want an increase on.

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 6 of 7
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I love both Comenity and GE....

But then again, I'm a very ideal customer as I pay on time, EVERY time....

GE has only messed up a few times on my report, but after I disputed, they fixed it.. and I don't hold it against them.

I have Smile Gen Financial, Express, and then also ANF.. all with decent limits. Ive had ANF & Exp since like 2007! I got my Smile Gen Fin card in Aug 2011.

I've gotten regular increases of a few hundred on ANF&EXP... and then I went from 1500 to 3000 to 4500 to 5250 on my Smile card within a year. I don't owe anything on any of my Comenity bank cards though.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.