Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on HSBC? 3% First Year offer

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Opinions on HSBC? 3% First Year offer

I have gotten HSBC Mailers in the past, this one is the first I have noticed with a 3% offer, on up to $10k spend the first year. Combined with the 0% BT and 0% APR might be interesting. The "prequal" goes until Sept 30. It also seems to not have a foreign transaction fee. Goes to 1.5% after, so may or may not be interesting.

What is your opinion of HSBC? How are the BT offers after the initial year?

IMG_06274.jpg

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Opinions on HSBC? 3% First Year offer

Haven't really heard anything positive, a lot of horror stories with the application process. They do not seem to be super popular and there isn't a lot of feedback around, but I certainly haven't seen anything very encouraging.

That said, the 3% for a year is a good offer if you'll put most of your spend on that card only. If not (i.e. you'll still be using many different cards) it's probably not going to add up to a lot.

Message 2 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

That's actually a pretty decent offer IMO. I have this card and mine was 2% with a SUB (last year). The 10% anniversary can be of some value, but it depends on your actual spend.

As far as ongoing BT offers, I get them with some frequency on any of my HSBC cards.

Now, the question becomes, what SL you'd get if approved. They're not known for high SLs, but some success has been achieved with reconsideration.

I'd bite 😁

ETA - the application process can be wonky sometimes, but I didn't have any issues - just be prepared for some security questions. EQ HP and SP on EX.
Message 3 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I would like this offer although HSBC isn't known for their SL's persay unless you have some serious cash in with them.

Assume 3% for first year is only targeted?

edit: actually is a public offer although heard verification is a joy Smiley Happy

https://www.us.hsbc.com/credit-cards/open-market-cards/om-cash-rewards/?cid=PPG0042815&SearchEngine=...

Message 4 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I hear mostly negative things about HSBC, specifically regarding the application process. However, that’s a very good offer, and if they’re sending you mail, things may go smoothly for you. If you think the card is a good fit for you, go for it! Good luck! 

See you in Approvals?

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 13k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

$10k is a pretty low 3% (or 3.3%?) cap for a card with no lump sum bonus or (AFAIK) special features.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Skip the headache and low CL and get yourself a CFU 3% 20K spend cap.

If you're over 5/24 like most of us then....

Disco IT MILES is 3% no cap + $75 Amazon credit if you apply through Amazon

Message 7 of 16
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Appears they removed the 100/150 signup bonus on $500 spend as well and changed it from 1.5% to 3.0% card for first year which you guessed it equals $150 if you spend the full 10k..  So actually this offer is worse than the 150 sign-up bonus for $500 spend.  I would certainly hold off now that i did my research Smiley Happy.  I see what they did there lol

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't heard much in the way of good things about them and I agree that this offer is a bit of a rip off. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Skip the headache and low CL and get yourself a CFU 3% 20K spend cap.

If you're over 5/24 like most of us then....

Disco IT MILES is 3% no cap + $75 Amazon credit if you apply through Amazon

How did I not know about that Discover referral offer? I would have jumped on that when I was out of the garden last month! 

Message 9 of 16
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

if you do the math, it's just $150 SUB for a $10K spend. not a good deal, really.

(Updated: incorrect and vague math. $150 excludes the regular 1.5% cashback.)

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.