cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Strategy (Part II of the thread)

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Optimal Strategy (Part II of the thread)

As many of you would know, I'm working towards achieving my goal of getting $200,000 of available credit in 2 years. I know it might be a silly or ridiculous goal but it would provide me a personal satisfaction & self-confidence lol. Further, my income is around $100k with little expenses so I think it justifies the goal a bit.

Its been 13 months for me since I started my credit journey & have achieved the following since then:

1) Walmart Discover = $10,000

2) Chase SW = $8,500

3) Chase Freedom = $7,000

4) Amex Delta = $3,000

5) Amex BCP = $2,000

6) A local bank = $1,500

Total = $32,000

Since I don't qualify for NFCU, I know it would be extremely difficult to reach $200k from this in 11 months, but my goal is to maximize the available credit as much as possible. Following are the prime/major lenders that I can apply at:

1) Citibank 2) BOA 3) U.S. Bank 4) Barclays 5) Discover (not Walmart Discover) 6) Am I missing anyone?

Here's how my credit profile look like:

TU FICO (Walmart) = 729, EQ FICO = 689, AAoA = 6 months, Enquiries = 11 for TU, 10 for EQ & EX

What do you think should be my optimal strategy at this stage? Since I already have a lot of enquiries, do you guys suggest me gardening for the next 8-10 months & then doing an app spree of 5-6 cards or should I keep applying slowly during this time? Don't forget that I'll be eligible for 3X CLI for Amex 2 times during the next year. Also, I might be eligible for a CLI for Walmart Discover.

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

Re: Optimal Strategy (Part II of the thread)

First, congrats on what you have accomplished thus far.  Nicely done! Smiley Happy

You might consider adding PenFed to your list.  But you should definitely plant yourself in the garden for at least the next 6 months, preferably a year, since you have a pretty short AAoA and double-digit INQs across the 3 CBs.

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 2 of 7
Richierichdollar
New Contributor

From what I have seen only a credit union of some sort will give you what you need in the amount of time needed. I mean like 2-3 of them. The only reason I think you wont get it from others is the age. Other then that it is great and wish I was there. Maybe you will have to take som hp from some to get cli maybe the will match or go higher them the highest you have.

Message 3 of 7
HiLine
Blogger

Remember I suggested that you plan your app sprees 6 months apart? Stick to that in order to maximize the number of approvals and amounts of credit limit increase. In the mean time, also request 3X's for your Amex cards since they cost nothing.

You're getting there. What you need is a little bit of patience.

Message 4 of 7
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

The reason why I'm not a big fan of CUs (atleast in my case) are the two hard pulls (one for membership & one for CC), hassle for providing proof & getting organization memberships (to become eligible).

Are there any CUs that do only one hard pull & don't often require getting organization memberships & income proof?
Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 5 of 7
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

HiLine, yes I do remember that very well Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
TwistedAngel
New Contributor

My credit union, Muna Federal, only did 1 HP for me (3 years ago) and the only requirement was that I open a checking account and keep at least $25 dollars in it as a "membership fee" which I can get back if I ever decide to close the account. I won't use an actual "bank" account because of my previous experiences with Regions bank and ddp my paychecks to a prepaid card with low fees instead, so I can't attest to the actual banking practices of Muna Federal, though.

............11/10.......................03/13..........................11/14..........................03/15..........................03/15............
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.