cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard Bank CLI Criteria

tag
sauer29

Orchard Bank CLI Criteria

Hello.  New to the forum.  I have a question and no one, including an Account Manager, could answer it for me.  Hopefully, someone here can.  I applied for and received an orchard card in Feb 2012.  The limit is $300.  At the time, my score was in the 580s.  Since then, I've improved significantly, purchased a home, paid off a car, and have always paid the card on time.  In fact, I'm carrying a $9 balance as I write this.  As my credit rebuild is ongoing, I sought to obtain a CLI to further help my score by utilizing less of my available credit.  I first made certain that the request would not result in an inquiry.  I was assured it would not.  the request was processed instantly, and was denied.  Why?  No one could give me an answer.  What are the criteria they look at?  No one could tell me that either.  If they aren't pulling my credit, that tells me they are doing one of three things;  looking at my payment history, looking at my credit info from when I applied for the card, or a combination of the two.  If they look at the info from when i REceived the card, then the denial makes perfect sense.  If they look at payment history, It makes none.  Anybody have any insight into this?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bradpitt
Valued Member

Re: Orchard Bank CLI Criteria

Is your card a secured card?  If so they are not approving any CLI's until Capital One takes complete control supposedly by this fall when you will get a new Capital One card.

There are other threads about this in this forum if you search.  

Also check out this thread on Capital One website.  http://hellocapitalone.com/

Message 2 of 9
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

You will have to go through the executive office to get a CLI on your orchard card. email the ceo of cap1 regarding your request. his email address is firstname dot lastname at capital one dot com.

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 3 of 9
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

The same applies for unsecured cards as well. I have been sitting at a $1100 credit limit since 2011 due to the transition. Only a few people have gotten CLIs through the Orchard Bank EO.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 9
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

When I inquired I received a canned message stating they were not doing CLI's at this time and would reconsider once Capital One has taken over.

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 5 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

sauer29 wrote:... the request was processed instantly, and was denied.  Why?  

Orchard Bank used to allow incremental increases every six months with a soft pull.  It didn't show on your report as an inquiry, but they still reviewed the report.  After the purchase of the HSBC accounts by Capital One, they continued this practice for a while.  Now, the transition is almost complete, and the increases have stopped.  Over the next 6 months or so the Orchard cards are transitioning into Capital One products.  

My Orchard card started at 300, and went up every six months when I called until this past December, when they stopped doing the increases.

Capital One is very stingy when it comes to limit increases on their subprime products.  It's nice to have a subprime lender that will give us a card when we are rebuilding, but the cards typically don't grow with your credit file.  The rest of us have had good luck with adding other cards, and then contacting the Executive Office for product changes and limit increases when our files have improved.  It's almost as if Capital One is two companies, one subprime and the other prime, and it is a little tricky to get anywhere while you are subprime member.

For the next few months nothing at all will happen with your OB card.  Once it becomes a Cap1 card, more options will be open to you.  The "Hello" site posted above gives you a rough timeline.

I suggest you continue to work on your credit file, and post your scores here.  Other members can give you suggestions for cards to add to your mix, to help you grow while you wait for Orchard to transition.

Message 6 of 9
sauer29

Thanks all for the replies!  They shed some light on things for me.  I am by no means where I want to be, but had a hard time accepting that over a year of positive history with them and substantial improvements to my credit file would result in a cli denial for a lousy $300 card.  Things just didn't seem to add up.   Again, thanks all.  Oh, regarding my scores, I only have Equifax at this time and it's 653.  Card suggestions appreciated!

Message 7 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@sauer29 wrote:

Thanks all for the replies!  They shed some light on things for me.  I am by no means where I want to be, but had a hard time accepting that over a year of positive history with them and substantial improvements to my credit file would result in a cli denial for a lousy $300 card.  Things just didn't seem to add up.   Again, thanks all.  Oh, regarding my scores, I only have Equifax at this time and it's 653.  Card suggestions appreciated!

You can get other scores on this site for free with a trial, but beware the gotcha if you forget to cancel.  Of course, it is a good monitoring service if you decide it's worth the money.  

I was over 700 before I qualified for prime cards like Chase, but YMMV.  You might consider a membership at a local credit union.  Some offer secured cards that report as unsecured, where you put money into a CD to cover the deposit and the limit is based on what you put up.  Most of these graduate eventually.

Or take a moment to garden, and work on eliminating the items holding you down.  If you hit it hard, you might get over 700 in a short time and qualify for all kinds of offers.

Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.