Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other than Capital One

tag
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Other than Capital One

Once score reaches say 650 what are some good cards other than Cap 1 cards?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Other than Capital One

What does your profile look like? Baddies? AAOA? How many current lines open? Utilization? 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where are you getting your credit scores from?

Message 3 of 16
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Barclay and Merrick are both fine.

whats wrong with Cap One?

Blacklisted?

One of the few decent companies that offer the full range of cards.

They treat me like a king and I started at 0 after BK.

YMMV

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 16
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

I would suggest Discover and Barclay as well. Also, C! is pretty good at giving people second chances, so if that's the reason you're not asking about them, I'd say don't count them out. 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 5 of 16
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Ok as of now my score is 570 via DiscoverIT which I have(Secured) along with yes I know a CreditOne card, Merrick Bank, Open Sky.

I also have a car note. Working on trying to get my score near 700 by this time next yr hopefully.

And I have 2 old Cap 1 cards from like 6yrs ago that I messed up. Was debating to pay them off or let them fall off my credit report?

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the ethical answer is you should always pay your debts, but you are 1 year from that falling off anyway...

Don't count Cap1 out completely. They are one of the more forgiving lenders. I'm not sure exactly what their parameters are for letting back in, but maybe someone will come along that can give you more info for that.

650 does seem to be the area that more doors open. I got AmEx BCE in that range, along with CFU.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Carloscda40 wrote:

Once score reaches say 650 what are some good cards other than Cap 1 cards?

You might be able to reach for the Citi ThankYou Preferred. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Cap1 when I was 18 fresh out of HS luckily it was only for like 650$ or so and I paid it over about 6 years later and last year I applied for their Platinum MC and they let me in and I just upgraded it or however you say it to a QS. They have been pretty stingy with CLI's and I just got the steps increase so waiting awhile before asking. But if you burned Cap1 they might let you back in as they approved me last year with a 580 Credit score. My Credit score is up to 645 or hovering around that between all three reports and Discover approved me for a card about a month ago for the Discover IT. 

Message 9 of 16
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

At FICO EX 650, you can start lurking around the Amex prequal webpage

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.